View Single Post
Old 06-04-2021, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliden07 View Post
Ed what a Beautiful Heirloom!! How did you attach the butt cap? It looks like it's screwed on? I've done 1 antler handled knife and was at a quandary on how to finish the back off. Decided a butt cap and then went nuts figuring out how to attach it!
For hidden tangs that use a buttcap, I use a "clevis". Just recently I was telling my Pal Steve Kelly (owns and operates TiConnector.com) and he said.... "We can make super heavy duty versions of those"..... and he did!

Here's how I use them...(I don't have any good pics right now, but will get some later today).

Trim the hidden tang as necessary to length. Drill a #51 or #52 hole in the end of the tang (you want the 1/16" pin to have a loose fit through the tang for some "free play") Attach the body of the clevis to the tang, with a 1/16" hardened steel pin. Then fit things so the 4-40 screw is counterbored into the buttcap. The biggest "trick" is getting the screw lined up and started when you have the inside of the handle/tang full of glue! But if you're careful, slow, and deliberate, it's not hard. Some guys will know this from me talking about it elsewhere, but then I was using a commercial clevis that wasn't nearly as stout as these are.

As the pics say.... TiConnector.com has a limited number of them for sale. You need to email or call, because they are not shown on the website. Just ask for "Ed's Clevis". I believe they are around $6-7 each.... but not sure.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."