View Single Post
Old 01-29-2022, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator

First, I hope you're on the mend pretty soon. I had covid and the first 4 days are, by far, the worst. Then comes about 10 days of feeling really, really crappy, followed by about 2 months of being tired.

Second, while I understand your rant about the vaccine, or at least about people who didn't get the shots (what are we up to? 3 now?), however I know quite a few people who had the shots and STILL GOT COVID. And most of them were mask wearing, hand washing, distance keeping, careful people. The virus behaves like a virus and does not read the news that it's supposed to be dead. The disease will continue until the number of vectors has been reduced to a level that it can't be sustained. People will get sick and become immune and when enough are immune, the disease will die out.

My grandfather survived the 1918 "Spanish Flu". It struck an Army camp and the military decided to send everyone home so they wouldn't get it. What happened was that spread the disease everywhere. One of my grandfather's cousins was sent home and got sick but didn't die. His brother was not so fortunate. My grandfather was very sick and at the time the theory was that you needed lots of fresh air, so the doctors said to leave the bedroom window open. It was winter and very cold, and my grandfather complained constantly about it. Finally his mother went in the bedroom, closed the window, and said, "There! If you're going to die at least do it quietly!"

The country fought the 1918 flu almost the same as we've fought Covid, and with about the same success rate. (The 1918 bug was far more deadly and it tended to kill the young, rather than the old like Covid and most other infectious diseases.) The 1918 flu took almost 3 years to go away, and there were 3 pretty distinct outbreaks, with the late outbreak having a much better survival rate. Covid appears to be following a very similar pattern.