View Single Post
Old 09-15-2021, 12:40 PM
Steel Addict

Thank you Ed, I was really hoping you'd see the question and comment. you bring some good points - as usual. This whole question (quest?) is more of an academic exercise than anything. I'm still ticked off by only getting a 9 ton press when I ordered the Coal Iron 12 ton press. Yes, the 9 ton (8 ton in my case due to mis-adjusted pressure setting) did work and I have learned LOTS from reading and using the press. Much of what I've learned is just how little I do know {g}.

I think I mentioned before Coal Iron's 12 ton press was designed for a 3.5" cylinder, but the 3" was "easier to source" (cheaper?) and they decided it worked ok. 3" cylinder working at 2550 psi is 9 ton, NOT the 12 ton the 3.5" cylinder would be.

I would LOVE to build a press, but I would pretty much build the same design I've got because it works for me to be able to move press in 'n out of shop for use. I would be working toward an honest 16 ton press - I think that would do just fine for the amount of "playing" I do with forging, etc.

I've been pricing pump, motor, control valve, and the steel to make the frame. It just isn't that hard to do, and a good bit of money could be saved vs buying. I found a local scrapyard that has angle iron for 50¢/lb. They said it's in straight sections 4 to 5 ft long, and 1X3" flat bar is also available.

Ken H>