View Single Post
Old 03-21-2005, 10:25 PM
Registered

The body count rises...

After boiling for a little over an hour (that is a highly scientific term that means about a hour or so) we had some failures. JB Weld that is supposed to be good to 300F plus took a walk. Super Glue Metal epoxy failed. There was 1/3 of a piece held by T-88 that gave up and Devcon, the epoxy we all love to hate now, had 1/4 of a piece left that fell away. The just fell off, no whacking needed. All the others were whacked because at this point they expect it and I think I'm starting to like it.

Whats left: all three poly glues. (I know, I'm sick of them too) but ALL THREE POLY GLUES, Acra Glass! (Huge cheering from this bunch), Golf smith shafting epoxy (my new favorite) and the blue marine epoxy. If you have anything that is in the water a lot and needs to be epoxied, the blue marine stuff is the way to go. If you are making a weird looking knife and need blue liners, the marine stuff is the way to go.

So, what tests can we do now? Any ideas?

So back to the poly glues. Here is that picture of a glue up using Gorilla glue. I clamped it in scientific terms again, real good. It did not expand to make an uneven glue line or even exposed glue line. There is no glue line, if you think you see one in the picture, I assure you, you do not. Does it hold? I beat the heck out of this piece, it is still holding fine.