View Single Post
Old 06-10-2021, 01:06 PM
Master

Thanks Ed.

I'd finished it up to a 1K grit level then etched it. It's not coming along as I would like so I may mix up a fresh batch of ferric chloride to see how it does. This has been the more frustrating sample I've had in a spell.

After the sanding was sprayed with a degreaser and wiped it off with an unprinted paper towel. This particular degreaser leaves no noticeable film and the same one I've been using for the past 15+ years. (It isn't allowed in CA due to EPA so you know it is good stuff. LOL)

Edit additional info:

On the second etch yesterday, put in the solution for about 10-12 minutes and it was at a level I liked. Ambient temps are running 75F now so just about right. Neutralized then rubbed with 4000G 3M polishing paper. Still unhappy.

The depth is great and it does show lots of promise but not at a finish level that I want it to be. The first one I had issues with too and that was done about 20 years ago. Similar complaints and redo's as well. I may be working it incorrectly to get the desired results.

I've not struggled this much to get looking good. Been quite a learning experience.

Last edited by M&J; 06-10-2021 at 04:10 PM. Reason: additional info