View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 01:49 AM
Skilled

Regarding the strange m-14, here is a close-up of the blade and stamp. I would have immediately thought this to be Solingen except for the etched logo. I suppose it is possible to envision a scenario early in the shop's use of their own in-house etching capability (1963) where someone used the wrong logo etching template.

This (below) is a close-up of the handle. This photo and blow up of others exhibited in the offer on e-bay led me to consider it to be brown Micarta from a longitudinal cut.

However, I have I've noticed some of my own m-14s with early black Micarta handles occasionally exhibit a brownish cast when photographed... not all, just some. Notice the second knife from left that looks to be brown Micarta. It is actually early black Micarta.

Whatever... the knife is unusual by either count... the mistaken logo or a brown Micarta Orlando blade made to look like a Solingen. Thanks for your input. I'm now somewhat glad I didn't chase the original auction and recycle the Orlando-saw tooth I already own. Ciao

Last edited by Jacknola; 02-17-2020 at 03:03 AM.