View Single Post
Old 05-22-2021, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
NO! Not "USE" the forge for making mokume.... but IF you happen to MELT any non-ferrous material IN your forge while making mokume. (Mokume is always non-ferrous materials) Also, the size of the problem/fix is relative to the amount/size of non-ferrous that melted.

The biggest offender is copper, but most any non-ferrous will produce a gas when it melts, that permeates the entire forge lining, and in the case of ceramic fiber blanket, the only way to remove it is to TOTALLY tear out the lining and redo it.

Castable lining is a bit easier... wire brush the spot(s) where a drop/drip landed until you take out about 1/8" deep, then patch it with kiln cement or whatever castable.

In coal forges with cast iron firepots, it requires grinding away the surface of the cast iron in the spot/area that the material melted/stuck to..... and in some cases, if the amount of non-ferrous material is large, discarding that firepot, because the melted material gets into the cast iron pores and by the time it's ground out, the firepot wall is too thin.

I've experienced all three scenarios, two of them when I too new/ignorant to know what I was doing was a bad thing, and the third when I was hosting a Hammer-In, and some knucklehead threw .22 casings into my welding forge (which is why Ed has hosted exactly ONE Hammer-In, and no more)

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."