View Single Post
Old 05-10-2021, 03:51 PM
Steel Addict

Ya'll are correct in how I made those, the brackets weld to the end so the die can't move side to side, with the "L" over the top to hold them down, and there is a lip over the rear part of the "L" to prevent the dies from sliding out the back. The die slides in from front with a nice "sloppy" fit. I was concerned about when they got hot them getting too tight. That .30" dimension I show on left side of drawing is just an idea. Since the die base is 1/4" thick, perhaps a 5/16" space would be better? I want enough slop, but not too much slop {g}

Now, on the bolt-in die holder I show drawing of, will it being bolted down really cause a problem when heating up since it doesn't move? BUT - the dies that fit into the holder are a sloppy fit so they can move around nicely. Worse case is the bolts breaking off, but that is a threaded insert that will screw out for replacement.

My thinking "if needed" to hold dies in from front would be a drop in pin that would prevent the die from falling out the front, but still giving 1/8" or so of movement. I thought I'd use it some without the pins and see how much the dies move toward the front, can always push them back into place. OR - is there a real danger of the dies "shooting" out the front under pressure? For safety I always sorta stand to side anyway.

Later