View Single Post
Old 05-10-2021, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Couple of insights..... In my experience, unless those screws used to hold the "die base" down are BIG, and I mean like 1/2 or larger, the heating/cooling will fatally weaken then, and then they will just let go/break.... and it doesn't take long at all, and getting the broken portions out is next to impossible. (can you tell I tired that? )

Also, I recommend NOT trying to pin dies in place in place....because the same thing as above happens. I'd recommend just letting the dies "float" on the die holders.... it's far less destructive on your machine/press, to have to adjust a top or bottom die as you're forging, versus trying to keep it tightly in a given position....which usually ends in something be "hard" broken.

Take that for what it's worth, I'd just rather have you learn from my errors, then having to make them yourself.

I think the first pic that Ken posted is ideal for the bottom dies. The top is a bit more difficult, because you have to create something that the top dies will "hook over", yet slide on/off.

The best I've ever seen was Jim Clow/AKA Boatbuilder who custom bent heavy gauge sheet to match the holders on Orange Crush, then welded on 3/8" thick plate for the "die holder", and then created whatever was need in the say of dies by welding stock on from there. (Jim built and then later sold Orange Crush to me). That guy is the most talented fabricator I have ever had the pleasure of knowing....yeah, he's that good!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Last edited by Ed Caffrey; 05-10-2021 at 12:09 PM.