View Single Post
Old 03-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Skilled

Tracy, you're getting closer and closer to proving that metal preparation is more important than brand of epoxy! Your stuff is all holding together quite well and it was all prepared the same way.

My first tests all had easy failures and I traced it back to the metal prep.

I think we're finding out there are many acceptable choices if done right.

Can I recommend a test for you? How about boiling in water. The temp of boiling water is under 212f. Yes, many of the wood samples might split, but the epoxy shouldn't come apart. This isn't a far-fected test either. While camping many of us will stir a pot with a knife. That heat will travel right up the steel.

Andy, you and Ray bring up the same kinda issues. Also, Andy, you mention peal strength. That's not listed in the specs of any glue's data sheets except the Loctite commercial stuff. Here's what I'd like to see:

After we get some more test results, someone should take a few of the better epoxies and try different construction methods. But with all the different ways to attach handles, we should lower the playing field to just a few epoxies.

Steve

PS I'm getting more and more excited about U-05FL (and Xtreme). It doesn't have the shear strength of epoxy, but it is very strong and remains flexible. It will allow some give while materials expand/contract. It holds up extremely well to the impact tests. If it holds up to thru environment tests, it just my be my choice for slab handles.

One more time: My belief is that the best choice is not necessarily the strongest. I'm refining my criteria, but right now it's this:

Holds very well (shear strength, impact/vibration)
Is not brittle
Does not crack materials that expand/contract differently than steel
Withstands freezing and heat
Works with a thin glue line
Doesn't introduce wild colors
Easy to work with/ apply

Last edited by SteveS; 03-21-2005 at 10:35 AM.