View Single Post
Old 01-28-2002, 09:06 PM
prizzim

Re: philosophy

Ok, here goes.

For myself, I think consistancy is key. I see many makers on this forum bounce from one type of knife to another, always experimenting, myself included. What I'd like to be able to do is crank out 20 well-designed and executed knives of the same type, nearly indistinguishable from each other, unless I differentiate them on purpose. I put this in the category of essential elements, because without the ability to repeat your success, everything you do right on one knife might be a fluke. It is similar to the principle held in the scientific method, that your results should be repeatable in a consistant manner. Otherwise you're relying on luck to carry you through. I don't claim to be a great knifemaker, but I'm getting better. I'll go ahead and apologize for the lack of pictures of my work, but film's expensive and I'm expecting a third daughter in the next couple weeks.

Anyway, to cut the rant short, I think that one should be able to make a knife, and then make another just like it for your friend. That's the level of thought I want to see in my own work, at least. I'll let you know when I get there.