View Single Post
Old 12-26-2020, 10:29 PM
Steel Addict

Good evening Dan.

As you can guess the pictures are not wonderful, but they will work.

If I’m understanding you, you are putting your test strips into a hot kiln for a set time and then quenching. If that’s true, your not getting the metal up to proper temp and most certainly not bringing the partials into solution and allowing full transition. You are also getting huge grain structure and that’s not good. Your also bellow Austenization on the 80crv by 150 degrees. If you hit the Mark, you wouldn’t see hardly any grain structure.

Everyone has their methods of heat treating that are slightly different but one common idea is it takes time. Time to gradually bring the steel up to a mid preheat, time to bring the steel up to full austenitize temp, and finally time for the steel to soak and let the structure fully shift. You cant rush this. I always soak my blades for 20 minutes at full temp.

If you look at your pictures, you can clearly see you have very large grain structure. You also clearly have two zones in that grain structure. My guess is your just not making it to temp before your quenching. Both of these issues can be a result of too hot too quick.

You didn’t say what the condition of the steel was when you started. New? Annealed? Normalized? Forged scraps? All these can affect your outcome of heat treating.

Someone else will come through and give you their spin in this.
Erik

Last edited by cnccutter; 12-26-2020 at 10:40 PM.