Thread: Bandsaw choice?
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2016, 07:29 AM
Guru

Sorry Dave for not getting back sooner.

The stuff we used at work was CRL Lubricant and we had 3 manual band saws that had to have wax put on them and one big giant auto band saw that used a water moly mix. Those saws were used daily for hours and the tubes lasted a long time (like a year+). Try an industrial supply like Grainger or Amazon. The stuff is like 16$ a tube, but you'll never have to buy another one. You can use something like a tapping wax or cutting oil like tap magic. Olson's saw blades sells a small tube of wax for $6 on Amazon. If you use Tap Magic just brush it onto the surface along your scribe line.

Look for a Grainger Industrial Supply near you, they have one here or a company called MSC. but MSC is expensive and charge shipping to their own distribution center, Amazon would be cheaper.

There is a Grainger's near you in Elmsford, near Tarrytown. Branch #547 on highway 9A, 505 Saw Mill River rd. Elmsford NY, 10523. Grainger doesn't charge you shipping if you call them and order for delivery to their distribution center, but will charge if you order online. 800-472-4643. They will have Tap Magic in stock at all times if they are like mine. They have sanding belts and carbide drill bits of every size like number 30 drills for 1/8" clearance. You have to be precise on their web site like "Jobber length carbide tipped drill bits". or "abrasives, 2x72 sanding belts". Makes getting around easier if you know the precise name. They have thousands upon thousands of stuff. Use "tapping wax" to search for it. Also try Lowes they have a tapping fluid called Oatey for $5 they also have Ultra Lube Drilling and Tapping Fluid for over $200, but seriously. Home Depot has it for $10 in 2oz. size, it's supposed to be a super lube cutting fluid. Would spread it on my scribe line with my finger at those prices or even mix with your other oil just keep it on top of the metal being cut. Wax is better, but the oil is easier to get, cheapest on wax is Amazon.

I use Tap Magic because I do not cut steel with a saw, but I also use it for drilling and tapping. I use a cutting disc on my angle grinder. For me and my experience it's easier, just like I used the angle grinder to do the initial grinding on a double edged Arkansas toothpick that was overall 19" with a 11 1/2" blade. I made two blades at the same time out of 1/4" 1085. I HT them in a forge with most of the hidden tang sticking out. I haven't put a handle on or blued the 2nd blade yet.

Last edited by jimmontg; 09-06-2016 at 07:49 AM.