View Single Post
Old 10-22-2014, 08:09 PM
Skilled

Ron, I knew you had the mother lode of model 3s, but I didn't comprehend the depth of your collection. What a great group of vintage 3s! ... with incredible provenance and some historical oddities such as those snaps, stockman sheath, double guard, etc. Every time I've looked at your knives I find new interesting and surprising features. For instance, it looks like two of them have a double stamp!

And the ones you've shared here were all made within the late 50s-early 60s period, extending and/or filling in the model 3 time line. I know your collection dates much further back too. Now, this line not only has a goodly centralized collection of Delrin information, it also has the acme of model 3 chronology progression from late '50s to early '60.

Have you ever thought of posting all your 3s in chronologic order? What a trove of resource. I've always admired the shape of the model 3 blade... but just never found one I had to have, given my attempt to concentrate on Viet era. I have to say that this Delrined model 3 is the most graceful blade I own.

Re: your authenticated low S: I was surprised at the anomaly in dating your authenticated knife and I started to omit it from the chronology ... but it had an interesting and reasonable explanation ... last in-first out and would represent the reality of operations vs the theory. Besides, it is a very nice knife with a low S, extending the date progression another year.

I really appreciate your comments. You know, I write all this stuff, right or wrong, pretty much to document my own curiosity and "research," and secondarily to be a reference and starting point for others. It is gratifying to hear from those I respect. And if it is wrong or erroneous, at least some discussion can help correct the record.

Comment This particular Delrin essay will not end up on the other forum. I've gotten pretty disgusted at ...edited out the hyperbole ... a lot of things that have contributed to that forum being nothing more than a "show-and-tell" run by self-promoting people who are mostly in the business of buying and selling knives, not collecting. I'll eventually get over it I suppose. Hummm... I feel better now.

Last edited by Jacknola; 10-28-2014 at 01:43 PM.