View Single Post
Old 03-04-2016, 05:34 PM
Skilled

I concentrate on the Vietnam era for the Randall knives I've accumulated. Why? I carried a Model 14 Solingen stainless in Vietnam during my combat tour with 5th Special Forces in 1967-68. My twin brother, also Special Forces, carried two different model 14s during his two tours. So...my interest in Randalls lies in that 1961-1973 period... I should note that I'm also taken with knives made a few years earlier than 1961, because the 1950s era knives were frequently carried in Vietnam.

I have three Vietnam era model 14s that I like a lot. But until this week, I couldn't find a Vietnam era model 14 with teeth that was obtainable. For several years I've watched on-line sites and no Vietnam era teethed model 14s were offered. They are apparently not common.

The reason I wanted to fill that hole in the "collection" is this: my twin brother lost his model 14-teethed in Vietnam when his belt broke while riding an extraction Maguire rig in 1968. He almost fell 2,000 ft. into the jungle. He saved himself but his prized teethed model 14 which he had originally acquired in mid-1966 and carried during his first tour in '66-'67, fell away.

Randall immediately shipped him a replacement Solingen stainless direct to Vietnam (I'll post some pictures of that knife later... it has performed ably in conflicts from Vietnam to Afghanistan around the world for almost 50 years). He once told me he thought he remembered that Randall sent the replacement Solingen free of charge given his Special Forces service...or perhaps with promise of later payment given his location outback Vietnam. In any case, I've been on the lookout for a Vietnam era 14-teethed model to remember the first Randall carried by either of us in Vietnam.

Behold, on E-bay this past week, a candidate that I won at an unreasonably reasonable price. I just received it and honestly it is completely unused ... never seen the like ... as if it just came out of the box. Hardly a scratch even on the sheath. I estimate its date at about 1968 give or take 2, because of the separate S, the shape of the guard, etc. Anyway, here it is.

I know... seen one Vietnam era model 14, and you've seen them all. Well, I like them. In future I will use this line to post some (more-better) pictures of my modest Vietnam era model 14s. Will also post my brother's celebrated 50-years-in-the-front-lines Solingen, and some pictures of us with Randalls in Vietnam. After all, they are "vintage model 14s." Guess I am "vintage" now too.

Wouldn't mind seeing what others have in the "vintage model-14" category either.

Last edited by Jacknola; 07-28-2017 at 11:35 AM.