View Single Post
Old 03-05-2021, 08:20 PM
Master

Nice that you are able to adapt a tool to improve your efficiency! Good job!

No worries on the uneven grind, that can be cleaned up after heat treat when the steel is harder. Getting it as consistent does help save some time in finishing though. Having an "oops" moment when soft is one of those jump up down sessions. My process is to go back in following HT to clean and straighten the cut if it is close enough. It blends when rubbing the blade out.

An option for your grinding jig is to use a phenolic base on the fixture. May also cut out a new work surface top to put in place over the machine table to preserve it. I do that with the bandsaw since it cuts steel and wood.

Thanks for the tip on grinding wax Jim! Reminds me that I've been using the same stick of Tap Ease for the past 20+ years. Down to the last inch now.

My process is to end at 120 grit though I do some light clean-up with 180 or 220/240G. That depends what belts are on hand for that. In the coarse stuff I run 80-120-180/220G progression typically. When they come back from HT I'll use a structured abrasive starting at A100.

Last edited by M&J; 03-05-2021 at 08:29 PM.