Thread: First bowie
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2020, 06:47 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
I would have gone with a thinner profile a bit. My first Bowie was a coffin handle Natchez Bowie. But it wasn't any great knife, as a matter of fact I still have it. LOL Never ht it and it was 3/16 O1. I ought to find it and take a pic. It was too slim, yours is a bit too thick, or clunky, shave off about 3/16 off the top. The false edge is a bit short for the length, could of been a little longer. You got the guard down pat, but what is that spacer material between the guard and wood? Aah maybe the double edge is ok on third look, maybe just needs to be pointed up a tad bit more. Hope I haven't devastated your Bowie knife aspirations Tex, but I've seen bigger and clunkier from veteran knife makers so it's all a matter of taste. As I said, not bad for a first try.
That’s why I post the pics. I need the advice. I made more then a couple mistakes. Where to start? The spacer material? I drilled the hole for the pin through the tang before I checked the fit at the guard. Wasn’t exactly right. Tried to fix it but didn’t have enough. Spacer pulled the handle tight. I did have more of a curve at the tip but ground the tip off doing the false edge. And I agree, the false edge should be a little longer. There is also a ding on the back side of the blade. Wobbled and couldn’t get 100% of it out. It is surprisingly balanced. A little front heavy but not really horrible. On to the next one.