Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > VictorCoelho

Conversation Between VictorCoelho and Mitch Edwards
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 2 of 2
  1. VictorCoelho
    01-06-2011 09:36 AM
    VictorCoelho
    Hi Mitch!!!!
    Long time no see!
    You cannot imagine how glad I was to see your message!
    I've tried to sent you a couple of emails but still dont know what is going on and my emails keep bouncing back.
    Hope you and the family are all well.
    Let me know if your phone # is still the same.
    Thanks for the advice, i?ll let them know.
    All my best,
    Victor
  2. Mitch Edwards
    12-31-2010 02:07 PM
    Mitch Edwards
    Victor,
    I have been viewing some nice work on the SBC postings. I would like to suggest something if I may. For the makers who are using stag, deer horn or whatever, if they would like to change the color to make it look a little "older", they can use potassium permanganate. Put about a tablespoon in a quart of distilled water. The color should be a deep deep purple. Wear rubber gloves when using this stuff. Use a pan that you will never want to use again. Makes sense, huh!!! Bring the mixture to a boil, turn the heat down until the boiling water is just moving in the pan. Place the piece of stag into the hot water and leave it for about 30 minutes. Remove and wrap it about 3-4 times in a piece of cloth. Remove the next day. You don't want it to cool to quickly and cause cracking. The hot water helps the mineral penetrate the horn deeper. You can keep this information for yourself or share it with your friends. Take care my friend.

Mitch Edwards