MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:35 AM
Registered

Ripped Off?

I'm not going to say who I am or where I'm from. I'm even connected to a VPN on both my devices to conceal my location. My point here isn't to trash the knife maker, it is for me to obtain information.

I bought a knife on an impulse. I told the maker as much as he posted something on Facebook I liked. It was a Sticker that I bought for $300. Obviously I'm not using it as it's intended, I just liked it. Stickers aren't common anymore and I like unique, to a point.

I got the knife and I couldn't stop taking it out to look at it. This knife was beautiful; unlike anything I've seen. After this phase passed I noticed things. Some dimples in the metal, opposite the knife tip where the blade comes to an end near the handle. Also that same spot was black with an uneven cut. I'll upload the photos later. Also I noticed scratches from the knife being taken in and out of the Kydex holder. Also there were black spots on the metal, maybe the Kydex rubbing onto it?

Now, I had a bit to drink one night and I messaged him complaining, complete with pictures. He replied the next day saying that in x years (over a decade) he had never had a complaint like mine. He asked if I had oiled it, and said that Kydex scratches everything and that looks aren't everything. I saw he then posted the same information on Facebook and of course had his followers groveling about his work, how great he was. Of course I felt like an idiot. I accept my part in this, I bought a carbon steel knife without looking how to care for it. And for his part he said if I returned the knife he would give me a full refund.

But I'm not like that. If this #### up is on me, it's on me. If you all send knives out with the same imperfections, and getting a scratch on a custom knife ain't #### unless you plan to keep it on display unused, I want to know.

But riddle me this, if a carbon steel knife should be oiled, why didn't he oil it? Also, why would you put a knife in a sheath known to scratch? I don't know this arena, If I'm being a pratt, that's exactly why I made this post, so you can tell me. But some of the #### he did in defense of his practice I've seen Inmates do and that makes me weary. If I can I'll upload the pictures, thank you.

Signed,
Order into Disorder
Old 08-14-2019, 07:28 AM
Guru

Upload the pics.

If you knowingly bought a high carbon steel knife and it rusts then that's on you. I can't speak to others practices as I never use Kydex, never. One reason is what you are complaining about, is that it scratches the knives and I have no idea why as it's softer than the steel. Yet it does scratch it. I only use leather that I have treated to prevent rust and I put a nice pattern onto it, either tooled or carved, but I never let a knife go out without a nice sheath. Kydex doesn't allow for that, it's a totally utilitarian way to make a sheath. Not my style as a way to make a sheath. A quality knife deserves a quality sheath, even if you don't tool a nice pattern onto it, the sheath should match the quality of the knife. I make sheaths for a friend with the new super steels because all he knows how to do is Kydex. It's a shame because his knives deserve a better presentation than Kydex.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:43 AM
Hall of Famer

I think that so many people are used to stainless steel the knowledge of how to care for a carbon steel knifes has sort of fallen by the way. Use, clean, oil, and put away somewhere dry. Do not store in a leather sheath for long periods of time. I think that is one of the attractions to Kydex; it doesn't absorb water. However, after a lot of people hopped on the Kydex bandwagon they started noticing that it will scratch the finish on the blade, but to be honest, no knife blade will keep it's finish unless it's put in a case and occasionally waxed or oiled.

Never a good idea to address a problem with someone after having a few so if anything in your message was out of line, that's on you. He did offer a full refund upon return of the knife so in my book that made him an upstanding craftsman, so in my opinion, no, you were not ripped off.

Doug

Old 08-14-2019, 10:22 AM
Hall of Famer

If I'm being a pratt

Yeah!
Old 08-14-2019, 08:50 PM
Master

Makers are proud to use various steels and this is a primary part of the listing. I don't know how this maker may operate and with FB, often it is a simple picture being shown. More details have to come from their website if they have one or through messaging before the $ exchange. Knives have their share of characteristics in the making process and some may become more obvious as you become acquainted with the work.

I agree that when a concern/complaint has been brought forth, saying "this hasn't happened in XX" does not negate there is an instance with the owner. His willingness to refund is appropriate. Possibly wording about not having an issue could have been unstated because that is a line that does irritate people. I've had that said to me and it doesn't promote a good feeling. Makes me feel that I'm the 1:2 million to get a product that is outside the norm. Stuff happens so there may well be a new issue to deal which I happened to not have good odds.

We have a friend that manages at the retail level, his CS skills dealing with issues is excellent. Many of us in the crafts don't get that type of situational "training". We do know that our reputations are at stake with each piece. Even though we may not be as eloquent in the delivery, as makers we want our buyer/s to be happy in the end.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:56 AM
Steel Addict

I cater to big game hunters with my knives. My primary steel is S30V stainless steel, but I also make knives using Damascus steel and O-1 carbon steel. I have found that todays younger hunters do not know how to care for carbon steel knives like the old timers do that used only carbon steel knives in their younger hunting days.
As a result I include instruction sheets with all my knives on how to care for that particular steel. even with that I had two customers that used a dish washer to clean their carbon steel knives and sent me a rust bucket to clean up for them. On my carbon steel knives, I also send them in a Kydex sheath instead of a leather sheath I use for the stainless steel knives. The reason for that is that a majority of the hunters will store their knives in the sheath when hunting season is over and leather will absorb moisture from the air and rust the blade even if the sheath has been treated with Neatfoots oil.
If the maker stated he would refund your money, then he lived up to his end of the bargain. If those spots on the blade are rust spots, then that is on you for not taking proper care of the knife. I always use 4 layers of masking tape on the blade when forming the kydex sheath to help protect the blade from being scratched when withdrawing the knife from the sheath. I also apply two coats of Renaisaance wax to my carbon steel and Damascus steel knives before shipping them.

Tags
a, bee, black, blade, carbon, common, custom, custom knife, handle, how to, knife, knives, kydex, leather, made, make, making, metal, sheath, sheaths, show, simple, stainless steel, steel