MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 12-22-2006, 12:45 PM
Hall of Famer

Question Belt sizes

Here's a question born of shear ignorance and the inability to find the answere anywhere. What is the difference in a 2x48" belt grinder and a 2x72" belt grinder, other than one has a longer belt? I seem to find a wide selection in both types of belts and the
2x48" inch model I'm looking at is about $120 cheaper than the like model with the longer belt. What will the longer belted unit do for me that the shorter belted model won't and for less money?

Doug Lester
Old 12-22-2006, 01:01 PM
Guru

Hey Doug, here's my take on things. The big differences between the two are going to be how long your belts last and the maximum size of your contact wheel. You're going to have a tough time getting a 48" belt around an 18" contact wheel, believe it or not. The belts will got hotter faster, so they'll wear faster per inch under heavy use.

The only other thing to consider is if you're going to move up to a kmg or bader or X later. If it's a 72" setup you'll have to buy all new belts, including the ones that you rarely use and don't have to buy often.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 12-22-2006, 06:50 PM
Hall of Famer

Re: belt sizes

Thanks, Cap. What I'm looking at is one of those inexpensive units (relatively speaking) with a removable platen. Don't know if I'm going to go with the one from Grizzley or Kalamazoo. I also saw an add, hope I can find it again, for just the grinder without a motor. Which leads me to the question, could I take one of the wheels off the bench grinder that I have and mount the belt grinder on it? The way things are going, it is going to be many moons before I can afford one of the $2-3K machines and I'll have to see an absolute need to have one before I lay out that kind of money. My wish list is a lot longer than my pockets are deep.

Doug Lester
Old 12-22-2006, 10:35 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

There is a belt sander - also a 2x48 - that mounts on a bench grinder. It's called a Multi-Tool. The Search feature should take you to quite a few threads where it has been discussed. Some love it, some hate it.

Frankly, I think the Grizzly gives you the most bang for your buck. It costs the least and delivers as much or more for the money as you're gonna get until you can afford a KMG or similar unit...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-23-2006, 01:06 PM
Hall of Famer

Thanks, Ray

Doug Lester
Old 12-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Master

i agree with the others. a longer belt will run cooler and last longer. i use both a 6x48 and a 2x72. i own a grizzly and i think its a great machine for the money. it does run kind of fast but once you are used to this it just helps reduce production time.

some of the exotic belts may not be easily available in 2x48...such as felt or cork. personally i would just get the grizzly.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:55 AM
RIP 11-09-2011

All my machines are 2X60.
Call me odd
Old 12-24-2006, 12:43 PM
Hall of Famer

Re: belt sizes

I found a site for the multitool. It was not the product I was looking for. What I saw looked like the belt grinder on the Grizzley sans motor. As far as being able to find the more exotic belts in 2x48", I already have found a source for cork belts and that includes ones without grit for polishing.

Doug Lester

The smith also sits by the anvil, and fights with the heat of the furnace, and the noise of the anvil is ever in his ears, and his eyes look upon the pattern of the thing that he is making. He sees in his mind to finish his work, and waits to polish it perfectly

Ecclesiasticus
Old 12-24-2006, 01:06 PM
Master

Go with what you can afford, but the base KMG (flat platen, step pulleys, and no motor) is only about $750. I would, and did, save up the extra $300 over the Grizzly/Coote/Kalamazoo-type machines so I could have the best. Took another month to afford the motor, and I am running it on 1 hp 110v. It'll still do anything I ask it to except hollow-grind, as I haven't talked myself into a contact wheel yet...

Yeah, the full rage of wheels and variable speed would be nice, but I can't afford a $2-3K grinder either. So, I got one that can get there eventually, piece by piece!
Old 12-27-2006, 10:47 PM
Steel Addict

Don't mean to steal the thread, but has anyone ever modified a 2"X48" Coote by extending the upright C Channel so both 48" and 72" Belts can be used? Doesn't look like it would be too difficult.

Last edited by oldwolf; 12-28-2006 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:11 PM

I don't see why this would't work. Loveless did this to the burr king grinders, and the Burr King 960 Knife Makers Grinder was born! Mike

Tags
knife