MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:37 PM
Skilled

Heat Treating Stainless Damascus

Hey There,
I'm Looking for some tips on heat treating Devin Thomas stainless damascus. If you go to his website it says " bring up to 1925f for 10min. then quench in oil temper twice at 350f for one hour each time. Then quench in liquid nitrigen for 4 hours and temper one more time." Then I also talked to Robby Thomas on the phone and he says they usually plate quench insted of oil quench but you can oil quench. He says there stainless damascus is basiclly 440c stainless steel. So I would realy like to use some stainless damascus and give heat treating a whirl myself. I have an evenheat heat treating oven and have used carbon steel four the past 4 years but never stainless. I don't have a plate quench or not to sure what it looks like a picture could help me. So I am just wondering how you proffesionals do it. From what little I've read it sounds like most people plate quench. Is the liquid nitrogen realy necessary? Thanks for any help. Shane P. Atwood
Old 08-01-2008, 05:18 AM
Master

Assuming your oven will get to 1925 F. Make sure you get a full 10 min at 1925 F. Plate quench is very convenient. For all the stainless steels you need to put the blade in foil and seal well. Plate quench in the foil.Search "plate quench" ,lots of discussions about that.
Cryo is not necessary but typically you will get 1-2 HRc higher. Grind fairly close to final size for stainless.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:56 AM
Skilled

Thanks Mete, That helps a lot. Yes my oven will go up to 2200f
If I were to take two pieces of plate metal say 1/4" thick 3" wide and 12" long, heat my 10" long 1 1/2" wide knife in the oven pull the knife out and put it in between the two pieces of plate metal and clamp in 2 or 3 places with c-clamps and let air cool to room temp would that pretty much do the the trick? About what hrc will that give me on stainless? Thanks, Shane

Last edited by spaknives; 08-01-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Master

Use 3/4" thick plates , aluminum preferred. Hard to tell about the hardness without knowing both steels in the damascus. Somewhere between 55-60 HRc as a guess. I'd temper at 400 F.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Skilled

Where does a guy get 3/4" aluminum plate from? Does anyone have any good websites to purchase it from, or even a plate quench fixture itself? Thanks, Shane
Old 08-02-2008, 01:10 AM
Steel Addict

I got my aluminum plate off of E bay. It was 3/4" thick, 5" wide by 6 foot in lenght. Cost was about $130.00 plus $20.00 shipping. It was perfect for me as I do two or three knives at a time on heat treat. I cut the plate into 12" lenghts that gave me 6 pieces to do three knives at a time. Just do a search for aluminum plate and see what they have available. I tried several metal scrap yards in my area, and could not locate any over 3/8 thick.

Bob Hatfield

Old 08-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Skilled

Hey Thanx Bob,
There is a lot of aluminum plate for sale on ebay. Who new! I will purchase some from there. Thanks, Shane

Tags
blade, knife, knives