MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:15 AM

Do You Feel Like a Fraud?

I was having some long thoughts about my 9 years of knifemaking and where I fit in in this community. It seemed appropriate to filter a bit, and share them here.

I measure almost nothing--never have.
I 'eyeball' pin and tube locations every time.
I clean with alcohol before glue up and nothing more.
My tools are a collection of Homemade (primary 2x72 grinder), Harbor Frieght, and Lowe's brands.
I use belts FOREVER.
I never use a tool rest--I freehand grind every thing.
I have no knifemaker's vise, just a Harbor Freight bench vise.
My 55lb anvil was made in China.
The forge I use was made from an insecticide bottle.
The expensive forced-air Johnson forge I drove to Texas to buy and then rebuilt, has never been fired up. (It's for sale BTW.)
I use my drill press for double duty as an arbor press for eyelets in Kydex sheathmaking.
I quench in olive oil for most knives.
I have no edge grinder--my angles are 'eyeballed' like everything else.
My 'buffers' are the cheapest 8" angle grinders I could find with cheap 6" buffs on them (no plastic covers).
I genuinely like Dymondwood handles, and even some Acrylester, and that reconstituted stone stuff from Jantz.
I dislike putting maker's marks on my knives. I just haven't found one I like, so they get nothing as of today. I've had makers tell me that this is a sacrilege.

All of my tools and methods are as imprecise as they can be. There is nothing high-tech in my shop except a KM-24D that I got second-hand. I use it for stainless blades. I just replaced the old $15 Harbor Freight 4.5" angle grinder that I got years ago, because I burned out the motor yesterday. (This is one of my favorite profiling tools.)

I used to feel like my 'cheap' methods reflected a poor attitude toward the craft on my part. I felt like a 'fraud'. I even attempted to conceal my approach from other KCKA members or forums members. I was ashamed.

After stepping away from knifemaking for a few years to complete another major project, I realize that the simpler the tools, the higher the demand for artistry and attention to detail--the more 'finesse' and 'touch' is needed, I now understand that when I was feeling embarrassed at my modest shop and home-brewed techniques, I should have been feeling pride. I should have held my head high and celebrated what I can achieve with so little in the way of proper tooling.

My knives are far from perfect. I don't make 'collector's' knives. I make users. (Heck, I turned Bertie Rietveld Dragon Skin Damascus into an EDC.) However, my knives work as advertised, and I'm proud to deliver them.

The moral of this story: Be proud of what you do and how you do it. If your knives are performing as they should be, don't drink the Koolaid about this tool, or that product. Don't subscribe to the 'Steel of the Month Club' or seek out that new popular wood for your handles. Try everything, and use what YOU like. Yes..., try always to improve, but celebrate each and every knife you make as you do.

Be 'inspired' by other makers, but be careful not to be too influenced. Be careful that you don't find yourself 'cloning' a notable maker's work just because you feel that you have to. They don't need disciples. Learn what they teach you, and put your own creative soul in the work.

Just my two bits...

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 09-21-2014, 06:21 AM

Wow Andy!
Didn't know you could be so passionate about "cheap tools". I never really cared what anyone thought of my tools (obvious thing), because it's always been about how well what you have is used and how well you hone your skills. I'm some what of a self proclaimed minimalist low cost/expense expert myself. Only thing I can't wrap my hands around are the synthetics and plasticized woods, but that's just me. You make great knives, have a good time doing it and that's the bottom line.

Was in Wichita two weeks ago and almost gave you a call, but we were moving pretty fast....no leisure time. Wife's from Augusta. Worst thing was, I had to buy a knife at Wally World (flew in) just to cut rope and stuff. Moved a load of furniture from her aunt's place in Ark City back here to GA. I hate HAVING to buy a knife!!! (almost as much as driving a moving van cross country).
Maybe next time. If all goes as planned, I will be at The Knifemakers' Guild Show in Kansas City next summer.
Short of it - I'm with you on your original posting (do have several good old anvils though).

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 09-21-2014, 08:05 AM
Skilled

Andy, you think your shop is cheap? You should visit mine. What is a fraud? One who put's a makers mark on someone elses blade that they just glued handles on and called it theirs. One who takes a saw blade, grinds out a rough blade and calls it a knife with no heat treat. I had a gentleman bring one of those saw blade knives, he couldn't understand why it wouldn't get sharp. Only took a little messing with to figure out the maker hadn't heat treated it. He came back after 2 years to buy 3 more. Why? That one little knife was "the best" he'd ever had.

The art it to use what you have to make something worth while. I don't have any fancy knife grinding equipment, I use a 4x36.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:31 AM
Skilled

Great post!

It's not about being cheap. It's called it "gettin' 'er done." If Red Green had a son I think I'd be him. I do use a ruler once in a while so you beat me there!

Really, it's all about the art of subtraction. If you can do it without measuring, great! You are operating lean and simplifying. Big manufacturing companies pay consultants tons of money to figure this out, but we've mastered it out of necessity. Money kills creativity.

Humans have an amazing ability to add to things and make things more and more complicated. With that in mind...I will stop typing now.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:57 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Beautifully said, Andy!

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-21-2014, 09:37 AM
Hall of Famer

Beautiful composition! You get an A+ for that.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:50 AM
Master

well put Andy.....nothing much to add, I feel like you just walked through my shop !!

in my opinion your last line in your thread is key........

"Be 'inspired' by other makers, but be careful not to be too influenced. Be careful that you don't find yourself 'cloning' a notable maker's work just because you feel that you have to. They don't need disciples. Learn what they teach you, and put your own creative soul in the work."

Old 09-21-2014, 08:13 PM
Skilled

A tool is just a tool, it is part of the process, not the end result.

Here's the guy who helped me forge my first few blades heat-treating in a digitally controlled trash can...

A good friend told me one time about forging "What is there not to like, you get to break all the rules you were told as a kid, don't play with that it is sharp, don't play with fire, and don't beat on that"
Wade Holloway

See some of my work.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:54 AM

Simply well said.

There are probably more of those who do things your way than there are the guys who use the latest and the greatest every time.

Thanks
Steve

Old 09-22-2014, 09:29 PM
Steel Addict

Wow, you hit my nail right on the head... Thanks for a great post.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:31 PM
Administrator

This post should be required reading for every new knife maker!

Well said, all!

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 09-22-2014, 10:36 PM

Words to live by.

A phrase that's always in the back of my mind is- "It's not the arrow, it's the Indian"
Old 09-23-2014, 08:07 AM

Wow... I didn't expect such powerful responses. It must have struck a chord.

Thank you for the kind words.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 09-23-2014, 11:48 AM
Master

I like the write up too Andrew.

I hope no one minds too much if I mention that Doc Batson's heat treat forge looks like it may be galvanized, and he knows what he's doing. It may not be the worst idea in the world for new folks to look up and decide if they are okay using that type of coating around higher heat.

Sorry to go off topic, Craig
Old 09-23-2014, 03:39 PM
Skilled

Agreed 100%.

Tags
2x72, anvil, bee, blade, blades, collector, damascus, drill, edge, for sale, forge, homemade, knifemaker, knifemaking, knives, kydex, plastic, press, project, stainless, steel, stone, teach, tools, vise