MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 10-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Skilled

I am a fan of the "full sized" butt cap regardless of the material.
Balance I guess is a subjective thing. I am a 1911 semiauto fan too. I like them in 5", 4 1/4" and 3". Whenever I pick up one of them my hand and brain(?) compensate for the difference in the length, weight and balance. Doe's that translate to knives?

I have absolutely no idea!?!

RKS #4868
NRA & TSRA Life Member
Deep East Texas Life Resident (so far)
Old 10-05-2005, 08:46 PM

Micarta: Antique Gold, black spacers, brass #1 hilt, brass thin rounded butt cap, thong hole, black C sheath.

Leather: Brass #1 hilt, duraluminum hilt with exposed nut, thong hole, red white and blue spacers, and brown C sheath.

Joe
Old 10-08-2005, 02:12 PM

Knife #1...Micarta w/BP handle: black, n/s forward-curved double hilt, duralumin crow's beak butt cap, aluminum/red spacers, wrist thong, black model "A" sheath

Knife #2...Leather w/commando handle: n/s double hilt, duralumin radiused butt cap w/nut, red & white spacers, wrist thong, brown model "A" sheath
Old 10-09-2005, 06:58 AM
Skilled

Felix,
Part of the reason these "building" projects exist is so folks can see what "can" and "cannot" be done. Randall certainly has the ability to do more things and offer more options than they do. I spoke to Gary Randall about this very subject once before. His answer was, basically, that a limit had to be placed "somewhere", or they just couldn't keep up. There are over a million combinations of Randall knives and options!! No kidding..over a million, and that was "before" the Model #27 "Trailblazer".
I spoke to Scott Maynard at home and he does not recall from his "list" all of the particulars, but I am fairly sure that Randall no longer offers red and white spacers "only" anymore. You can get red, white, and "blue". You can get "all black". You can get "red and blue". I think you can get "all blue". You can get aluminum and red, or aluminum and black: Alao, brass and red, or brass and black. You can get smooth nickel silver collars, as well as brass smooth and scalloped collars. I "think" that is the extent of spacers options. I am not positive, but that is what I recall.
Also: A "crow's beak" butt cap is not available on a "border patrol" handle. Best for now, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 10-09-2005, 08:52 AM

Thanks, Cap.

Since you hadn't challenged the thread Border Patrol Handle with butt cap?, I assumed the info there was accurate...Jeff's correction indicated that the shop would take the order (BP handle with crow's beak butt cap) but what you'll likely receive would be something akin to a #22 handle. Which is fine with me on this hypothetical build.

But based on what you wrote today, pls change "crow's beak" to just straight "duralumin" butt cap.

And the spacers on knife #2 to a more patriotic red, white and blue please.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:39 AM
Steel Addict

Leather Regular #1 Hilt in Brass, Red and black spacers, Brown sheath.
Black Micarta, regular #1 hilt brass, Red and black spacers, Black sheath.

This sounds good to me

Old 10-12-2005, 08:11 AM
Skilled

Felix,
This thread is doing it's job! It would take volumes of threads and posts to address certain "options". With these building projects we can sort some out, and have fun at the same time. When you order a "border Patrol" handle "with" a butt cap, you get neither of your requests. A "straight" butt cap needs to be on a "straight" (standard) handle. Felix: Like all other handles, a Randall butt cap "follows" the contour of the handle, more or less. Look in the catalog or on line and view a "commando-shaped" or "concaved" handle. You will see the lines of the butt cap "extend" the shape of the handle. There are exceptons, i.e. you can have a "crow's beak" on a standard shaped handle, just not the other way around.
On the "border patrol" thread, I did not correct anything because I didn't see any real errors. Someone posted a pic of what they "thought" was a border patrol handle. It was not, and several others pointed this out. Afterward "Moosehead" posted a pic of a border patrol handle, "with" a butt cap....100% correct!! "THAT'S" the type of handle/ butt cap combination you wind up with when you order a border patrol handle and a butt cap: Great combo, by the way!! I hope that everyone isn't totally confused by this post. If anyone is: please advise. I am traveling and do not have access to the internet all day long. I'll check in tonight. Best for now, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 10-12-2005, 03:47 PM

Cap et al!

I would like the leather handle to be commando shaped (reasons previously stated), with a rounded aluminium butt cap.
Hilt would be nickel silver.
Spacers would be black and aluminium.

The Border Patrol shaped green micarta handle would have a thinned brass butt cap.
Hilt would be brass.
Spacers would be red and black.

Thanks!

Moosehead

Old 10-13-2005, 09:31 AM
Skilled

Attention moderators,
I believe that enough time has passed. Would you please "tally-up" the votes? Hopefully: No pregnant chads! I will be in and out of the office for the balance of this week. Next week: TULSA. I would like to wrap this project up before I leave, if possible. Thanks for your quick response and very good job that ya'll do. Best, Captain Chris Stanaback
P.S. I will check in this evening. If any more clarification needs be done, or a "re-count" comes into play, we can address it then. CCS

Old 10-20-2005, 08:38 AM
Steel Addict

Hey, whats going on with this? Have we decided yet? OOh I'm excited.

Panhead
Old 10-26-2005, 04:31 PM
Steel Addict

Randall Fighter

Are we going to make these knife or what? I want to win both of these knives now.
Panhead
Old 10-26-2005, 04:46 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead
Are we going to make these knife or what? I want to win both of these knives now.
Panhead
Patience Grasshopper.

RKS #4868
NRA & TSRA Life Member
Deep East Texas Life Resident (so far)
Old 10-27-2005, 02:01 PM
Skilled

Attention all,
I know that David, (Moosehead), has been busy with his personal family lately. I will be back in the office tomorrow, after a marathon trip involving the Tulsa show and other "stops". I will try and get up with the moderators and finish up this thread, so as to get on with the tally and consequent "numbers game" Hopefully, we will get this building project back on track. Best for now, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 10-27-2005, 04:57 PM

Talking Final Results

Hi All!

I just finished tallying up the results (no easy task, mind, with so many variables). Luckily, there was a clear winner in every category (except one), and the knives sound like they will end up looking very cool. However, we did end up with one weird anomaly, as you'll see.

Hopefully, I made a pretty accurate count, but please feel free to criticize (for all the good it'll do ya).

So now the moment you've all been waiting for:

MODEL #1 LEATHER COMMANDO SHAPED HANDLE
-Brass standard double hilt
-Brass rounded/radius-ed butt cap, no exposed nut
-Brass and Blacks Spacers
-Wrist Thong
-Tan Type "A" Sheath

MODEL #1 MICARTA BORDER PATROL SHAPED HANDLE :cool:
- Black micarta
- Nickle Silver standard double hilt
- No butt cap OR a rounded/radius-ed Brass butt cap (See the anomaly N/S hilt with a brass butt cap?)
- Aluminium and Black spacers
- Wrist Thong
- Black Type "A" Sheath

The Captain will verify if this is all feasible and how we'll settle the butt cap issue for the micarta handled knife. :confused:

Thanks to all of you who participated, and I'm looking forward to which of you will end up the two winners of this cool Capt. Chris contest.

Cheers!

David

Old 10-27-2005, 06:15 PM
Steel Addict

Oh Boy!!!, let"s see...

I pick # 13!!!!!

Do I win?!?

----------DW-----------

Tags
knife, knives