MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Texas Knifemakers and Collectors Association

Texas Knifemakers and Collectors Association Dedicated to promoting custom knives and knifemakers.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:42 PM
Registered

Newbie needs help

Hello everyone. I dug this up near Fort Richardson Jacksboro Texas and have no clue what u have! Hope I can get pics up and solve the mystery it's driving me nuts! I can tell you overall I think it's a home made dagger, shank, shive? Or something like that. Overall it's 11 1/2 inches long. The point is steel and loops into handle and the steel comes to a sharp point and is 8 1/4 inches long. The handle I will say is solid brass heavy! It's 3 1/4 length 4 sides and circumference is 3 1/4 inches. Has a lot of engraving I can't make out except a deep inlay of the number 2. The colors are warm buttery and that 2 inlay seems to be silver gold colors like jewels shining. The back of the handle cones down 4 sides to a blunt point and I can tell the brass was heated and cast around the steel shaft as it melted & cooled. It's soft metal like lead or gold and seems like its brass but dipped into something to give it a plating, or coating however so far it has passed all the test at home showing it has gold context but I can tell its not solid it's harder the deeper I go.
It's a really cool piece and I am intrigued deeply to know more ASAP.

I will post all info I can next post
A picture is worth a thousand words you know.

Thanks for all replies and questions.

LGL
Old 11-18-2012, 08:13 AM
Skilled

Sounds cool. Do you find it with a metal detector? Can you post some pics?

Tony Z
Old 11-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Registered

Found it !

Hi,
Yes it's cool. I'm finding out bits & pieces. So far best guess is an old solder iron for farrier, horse shoeing. This one however someone converted it into a dagger or just a keepsake. The engraving was by hand & someone else says there is a type of gold overlay that is soft and can fool you it's so much like real gold.
Of course nothing is for sure yet. I know a jeweler who can help me in person & we will see.
I actually bought some property and was just cleaning up and seen a shiny speck about 1/2 dime size exposed, dug it up and the mystery begins!

Lol.
Thanks, I will update later.
Lonny

Let me know if u can't view the pics !

Found it ! It's for sure an old soldering iron used by farriers. The one on the far left in this pic is what I found, although mine has been modified and has some differences, no doubt this is what it was originally .

http://m1321.photobucket.com/albumvi...l?o=0&newest=1

Last edited by LGL1963; 11-18-2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: New Info
Old 11-19-2012, 12:13 AM
Registered

Newbie research going good

Hey Tony!
Actually I bought some property near Fort Richardson and I was just cleaning up the back area and seen a very small shine I couldn't pick it up but I dug it up slowly and actually tossed it aside into a metal pile. Later I decided to wash it off and the coating of clay like glue then bench grinder wire brush and hey I found a nice piece of brass to sell. Then later I seen markings, engraving, so I cleaned gently and I know metals well and my gold test passed each one and has my heart racing but info was none.
Today I know what it was originally. But this one has been changed, and taken pride in the engraving, it's just cool. It was a old soldering iron used by farriers. Found pics all over the web now that I had a name for it. This pic shows it perfectly on the far left.

http://m1321.photobucket.com/albumvi...l?o=0&newest=1

I'm having metal tested soon and I'm still in hopes it has been gold plated and if not it will be a nice mantle piece of many discussions to come. Lol

Thanks Lonny

Tags
at home, back, bee, brass, cleaning, engraving, hand, handle, home, home made, iron, made, make, man, newbie, newest, post, sharp, solder, steel