MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Back from Blade.....

Just a quick note.... Blade Show was a great one for me this year in terms of sales.....had a first happen. When the show opens on Friday, we all watch as the flood gates open and people are running everywhere. Most head for the tactical area, but a few head for the ABS tables. Had two people trotting down my isle, and thought to myself "I wonder were they're headed?" To my total surprise, they stopped right in front of my table, and wanted the most expensive knife on the table! For years I've watched that happen, but never too me....that will always be the "coolest" Blade Show memory for me!

My Daughter Mandi, and her husband Tim, whom I lovingly refer to as "the kids" arrived from Florida Friday afternoon, and spent the entire show with me....NOW THAT MADE MY WEEKEND!

All the makers I spoke with seemed to be having a "good" show, which is encouraging, considering the last two years the economy has been in the basement. Seemed like most everybody was selling knives, and having a great time.

I spent Thursday afternoon, and Friday morning shopping for supplies, but didn't really spend a lot....got a great bargain on 100' of 3/32" N/S rod, picked up about $200 worth of really nice Bocote and Cocobolo, and managed to find a good price on 3/4x3/8 N/S barstock.

Several new JS stamps were handed out, and 2 new MS stamps! Congrats to Mike Qusenberry not only on his MS stamp, but also for the award for best MS knife!

Last but certainly not least, Had a great time with all my best friends.....

Already booked the table for next year.....now I just gotta start thinking of what to make!

Thanks to everyone for a great show, and the wonderful fellowship!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 06-10-2014, 02:00 PM
Skilled

Awesome Ed! Glad you had a great show. I've heard similar things from everyone else I talked to.

This year was the first year that I felt the 'sting' of not being there and that won't happen again. I WILL be there next year.

My wife and I thought about driving down for a day or two but as it turns out, it may have been a blessing in disguise as I've been embroiled in troubles of my own as of late and to have been in Atlanta when it went down would have been a bad thing.

Thanks for the quick review and again, glad you had a good show. Now go take it easy for a bit and unwind..........you earned it.

You have nothing to fear but fear itself...........and bears.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:17 PM
Skilled

I have to say this was my best knife show ever. Stoney River steak house Thursday nite was the best steak I've had in a long time. Friday morning seeing my good friend Mike Q get his MS stamp. Friday at the show was non stop for me until they kicked everyone out. Spending time with my good friend Ed and his kids Friday night @ Jock and Jill's. Saturday was busy until around 4:00 at which time I was ready for a bit of a break. Saturday nite supper with Steve & Melissa Kelly with some clients and their wives. Sunday a bit quite at first then picked up until 1:00 Then just kind of died out. Then out of the blue for the second year in a row a guy walks up to my table 5 minutes before closing and bought the Koa /Damascus fighter. Talk about luck. Then to Pappaduex for seafood feast.
The Show will truly be one to remember for me as well.

Bing

Old 06-11-2014, 01:42 AM
Master

Sounds really good guys, glad it was a good one.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:53 PM
Skilled

Great to hear ED. Bout time you had a first of show sale. Hope to be there next year possibly with 5 special knives.

Chuck Richards ABS J.S.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:26 AM

It was a good show for quite a few makers this year. I kept trying to get over to see/visit with some of you ABS guys, but the crowd never let up enough to sneak off. When it did everyone else was too busy to interrupt.....Good thing/bad thing sort of, but mostly good, kept me from spending my earnings and made the days go faster.

What's your take on the coming combined Guild/ABS show in Kansas City next year?

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 06-12-2014, 10:45 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crex View Post
It was a good show for quite a few makers this year. I kept trying to get over to see/visit with some of you ABS guys, but the crowd never let up enough to sneak off. When it did everyone else was too busy to interrupt.....Good thing/bad thing sort of, but mostly good, kept me from spending my earnings and made the days go faster.

What's your take on the coming combined Guild/ABS show in Kansas City next year?
Carl, that sounds great to me since I live in Kansas City! Haven't heard about it except for now. Any info you find would be greatly appreciated!

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 06-12-2014, 11:13 PM
Master

Tony , Dan posted it on the ABS website as well with some details to follow and some contact info

Old 06-13-2014, 04:13 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCROB View Post
Tony , Dan posted it on the ABS website as well with some details to follow and some contact info
Thanks Rob, I will look for it.

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918

Tags
abs, art, awesome, back, barstock, bee, blade, bocote, damascus, fighter, knife, knives, made, rod, supplies, tactical