MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Skilled

Paul Long Sheath on a Dave Kelly Knife

I was making a knife for Paul but then he asked if I had one that he could get right away, I don't know.......something about wanting one of my knives in his lifetime I'm not sure if he was implying that I take too long or what, it's only been a couple of years!!

Anyway here's a couple of pics Paul sent of the beautiful sheath he made for his new knife.

Thanks,
Dave

Ostrich leg inlay

Old 05-25-2007, 01:17 PM
Skilled

That's a great looking combo! The sheath and handle colors really work well off each other. - Jim
Old 05-25-2007, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Great combo!

Old 05-25-2007, 03:40 PM
Skilled

Thanks Jim, I agree he did a great job matching the colors!

Thanks Rick!

Dave
Old 05-25-2007, 08:10 PM
Hall of Famer

David Kelly and Paul Long, two of my favorites! I have several Paul Long sheaths, and two David Kelly knives, one fixed and one folder. I obtained my DK knives under some unique circumstances, but I was willing to wait however long it took to get one. Through pure fate I have both of them on my wall in our home. I'm still writing up a story on how I got the first one, affectionately named the "Dirty Bird", by the master himself, Dave Kelly. On the folder, I got lucky in a auction here on the Knifenetwork, and squeezed by at the last moment.
One problem though, these two Kelly's don't cure the desire for another one. Paul is probably right, that is can take up to two years to get one. How many of you know that one of David's knives was in Playboy magazine about a year ago? I don't er...ah...have the issue that it was in, but if I can every find it, I'll just want it for the one knife picture.
Ya, right Robert
So Paul, when you're ready to sell your Kelly, give me a shout. I have a feeling that I won't be hearing from you anytime soon BTW that is a fantastic sheath, as we've all come to expect from you.
Like I said earlier, David Kelly and Paul Long, two of my favorites!

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 05-25-2007, 09:51 PM
Skilled

Robert; that DK knife won't be for sale for several lifetimes. I still have my original order active and the knife is partially finished and when my buddy Dave feels up to it, it will be coming home to Texas to live.

Dave has positioned himself uniquely. He is a master knife maker and now with that Dagger sheath posted here today he is a master sheath maker as well. When I do get that next knife I want it in a DK sheath ,and that my friends will be sole authorship to the MAX.

Paul

Paul Long-- 108 Briarwood Ln. W.-- Kerrville, Texas 78028-- Ph. 830 367 5536--- pfl@cebridge.net
Old 05-26-2007, 03:16 PM
Skilled

Thank you very much Robert! I have that Playboy issue, can't seem to get past the "other" photos to see the knife photo though

It would be an honor to make a sheath for your knife Paul, thank you!!
I'll feel a little more comfortable sending one of my sheaths to you after I finish your knife.....should have a lot more sheath making practice/experience by then!!

Dave
Old 05-27-2007, 10:45 PM

Hi Guys -- Marie and I just got back from a trip to SW Colorado, so this evening I'm doubly treated by this outstanding rig, AND Dave's Dagger sheaths.
Paul, another wonderful job of creating the perfect sheath for the perfect knife !!

I also have the pleasure of owning one of Dave's folders, one he calls Stag Peacock, a blend of stag, damascus, textured brass and titanium. I've also had the opportunity to fondle another 5 or 6, each one a masterpiece
And if you can't find the Playboy pic, how about Coop's pic of Dave's Wooly Grouse in the May issue of Blade Magazine (inside back cover, page 114 !). It's also still viewable here on KN !

Mike

Old 05-28-2007, 03:36 PM
Skilled

Thanks Mike, hope you and Marie had a great time!!

Coop and I had a laugh about that Woolly Grouse photo, I told him Blade magazine must receive so many photos from him they automatically put his name on everything whether he took 'em or not
I took the photos and sent them to Dr. David for his book, Coop got a free plug out of that one!

Dave

Tags
blade, knife, knives