MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:05 PM
Master

Drill Press Help!

So I've tried figuring it out on my own but now turn for help. I have a craftsman 10" drill press from sears that was working fine. Now I have a terrible wobble and my 1/16" drill bits are drilling 3/32" holes! No good. I've tried taking my chuck off and cleaning it and reinstalling it and all that. At the end of the day, its still a cheap chuck. Everything else spins true just the chuck is off.

I'm thinking a jacobs keyless chuck would fix the problem? How do I know which one to get and where is the best place? The one on there now is 1/2" but I don't know about different tapers and that kind of stuff.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

If you're sure the spindle is turning true then a new chuck might help. But, if it was working fine before what changed? They don't wear out over night.

Assuming you decide to try a new chuck, check the chuck you have to see what taper it is, probably JT2 or JT3 or I guess it might even be MT2 or MT3. Whatever it is, that's what you need in the new chuck. You'll need to remove the old chuck from the adapter it's mounted on. The adapter is a tapered rod that sticks into the top of the chuck (matching the chuck's taper) and into the drill press spindle (matching that taper). Possibly that adapter has been damaged so check that out.

As for keyless chucks, if you spend enough on them they can be OK but I find them more useful on hand drills than on a press. The cheaper ones may not get tight enough to do the job. But, a decent quality keyed chuck will work fine and even the Chinese ones can be quite good .

Are you sure you're getting the 1/16th drill into the chuck properly? It's very easy to be a tad off center with those small sizes when using a 1/2" chuck. If your chuck is not designed to close down all the way to zero - and some of the larger chucks don't - then that could be the problem. Be sure the drill is centered and snug the chuck down by hand. Turn on the press and observe how much wobble to have. If no wobble is apparent, tighten the chuck just a bit with the key, then move to the next hole on the chuck and tighten a bit more, then go to the third hole on the chuck and complete the tightening. This method can help avoid torquing the chuck's jaws which is another source of wobble on wire sized drills ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 04-18-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:35 PM
Master

Thanks Ray! You're right, it doesn't happen overnight. I'm guessing its from lateral force before I learned that was a no no.

I've heard lots of people praise keyless chucks, and heard that using a key can even throw your chuck off balance. It's looking though like whatever solution will work, keyless or not, at the best price.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:23 PM
Enthusiast

Something to check as well, be sure the drill itself isn't bent ans the point isn't damaged. A minute chip in the leading edge can really cause the bit to wonder and over-size holes.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Master

I need JT33. Can anyone recommend a good brand. It doesn't have to be high end, just not crappy. I'm hoping not to spend more than $50. Anyone know if phase II is good?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:38 AM
Skilled

Cpt-Jens...All previous responses are good, and should enable you to find the source of your problem.
I do not know about the Phase 11 chucks specifically, but generally speaking their quick change lathe tool holders are held in high regard. I would be surprised to find out that their drill chucks are not of equal quality.
Before purchasing another drill chuck, I would remove the old chuck and operate the machine looking specifically at the spindle and determine if there is any run-out of the spindle. If the spindle is not running true, replacing the chuck is not going to resolve the issue. Also, removing and inspecting the existing chuck could reveal the reason for the problem and thereby give you more confidence in your next move.
If you do purchase another chuck, I would take the original chuck with me to ensure that the taper on the new chuck matches perfectly.
It also ocurred to me as I'm writing this that it is possible that the original taper could have been mis-ground. This would be more difficult to determine since it could be running true, but if misground would not allow the chuck to run truen even though it appeard to fit correctly on first glance.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:01 AM
Master

Thanks for the tips Ed. I've already taken it off and the spindle looks fine, and nothing looks wrong with the chuck. I'm going to take it off again to double check, its so easy to miss things. Unfortunately I'm going to have to order a chuck since I don't think anywhere local sells them, or at least in this size. I've checked NAPA, Ace, HD, and Sears (although I COULD order a replacement chuck with Sears, but it would be same one I have now).
Old 04-20-2011, 09:03 AM
Master

One other question. If my chuck is 1/2, does that mean a 0-3/8 capacity won't fit even if its the same taper or does that mean it can only take up to 3/8" bits?
Old 04-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

As long as the tapers are correct any size chuck will work. 0 -3/8 means the chuck will close down to zero and accept a drill as large as 3/8. As I said before, some of the larger chucks don't close down to zero so watch for that. Since we are making knives and that often requires wire size drills such chucks as those would be a bad choice. Also, not much need for anything larger than 1/2" since your press wouldn't have the power to turn it in a deep cut ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-21-2011, 07:38 PM
Master

Sweet I just got a Phase II keyless chuck on ebay for $10 plus shipping!

Tags
blade, brand, knives, press