MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 02-14-2003, 10:46 AM

Thumbs up Fisher 'Iron Mistress'

Here are some wonderful pics of a replica knife posted as a favor to brand new member LGF (Lance Fisher). These are stunning, and I'll let the pictures do the talking!

Lance will chime in soon enough. Drumroll please.....

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 02-14-2003, 12:03 PM

The Iron Mistress

Thanks Jim for your compliments, especially coming from someone with your reputation!! I was obsessed with this knife as I think most of our fellow knifemakers are when we first saw it and I tried to make it as accurate dimensionally as possible to the original knife shown in Blade (May 2002). It took me about 150 hours to make it as well as the display case. Phew!! My wife was starting to get jealous but she said, I still would rather you have that kind of a mistress instead of a real one. Thanks again for the support.

Lance
Old 02-14-2003, 01:34 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
Fine work, Lance, and welcome to the CKD!

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 02-14-2003, 02:09 PM

Don,

I appreciate the compliment and first recognized you from the tutorials on CKD. I avidly read up on your gem setting techniques. You make some beautiful blades with your signature gem in the blade. Inspired by this, I ordered some of these settings from our local jewelry supply house which got them from Signity. I will post this pic when I finish the knife. It's going to take me awhile because I am going to pick my handle material from the ECCKS show suppliers. The rest of the knife is almost done and the gems will be installed in the guard and pommel. Thanks for the tip.

LGF
Old 02-14-2003, 02:25 PM
Hall of Famer

beautiful work here lance. any specs on materials/methods?
thanx 8o

Old 02-14-2003, 03:17 PM

Iron Mistress

Hi Wayne,

I truly enjoyed making this knife but it was a challenge to some degree. The blade is made out of O1 toolsteel differentially heat treated to 56/57 Rc at the edge and 44/45 Rc at the spine. It is 3/8" thick at centerline and 10.5 inches long. The guard is nickel silver just like the original and the rest of the hardware is 360 alloy brass. The handle is not black laquered wood like the original because it would wear off eventually so I used black ebony. The inlay was cut out with a jeweler's saw and inlayed over a cream colored formica just like the original. So, all in all, it's essentially a reproduction of the most famous blade in our field. Thanks for your inquiry.

LGF
Old 02-14-2003, 06:31 PM
Guru

A fantastic Bowie, a project that you will remember for a long time
to come. The only problem that I see is what do you do next to top it? Welcome to CKD and please show us the the next one.
Gib

Old 02-14-2003, 08:44 PM
Master

That is the nicest Iron Mistress style bowie that I have ever seen. Fantastic!

Old 02-18-2003, 03:49 PM

Hey Gib and Keith,

Thanks for the compliments. It sure will be difficult to top this one for me although I'm trying........I'm currently working on a double edge quillion dagger with blued fittings and fluted handle with gold twisted wire inlay studded with some rubies and cubic zirconias in gold settings. Although it may be prettier per say, it won't have the mystique of the Iron Mistress, no knife ever will I guess. OAL on the Mistress was 15 5/8" which I neglected to mention above. I'll post a picture when I finish it.........

LGF
Old 03-31-2013, 11:01 PM
Registered

The 'Iron Mistress' on The Knife Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGF View Post
Thanks Jim for your compliments, especially coming from someone with your reputation!! I was obsessed with this knife as I think most of our fellow knifemakers are when we first saw it and I tried to make it as accurate dimensionally as possible to the original knife shown in Blade (May 2002). It took me about 150 hours to make it as well as the display case. Phew!! My wife was starting to get jealous but she said, I still would rather you have that kind of a mistress instead of a real one. Thanks again for the support.

Lance
Lance- I've been an Iron Mistress fan ever since I was 10 years old. I'm very picky about all the Mistress replicas I've seen over the years and stopped buying them. Someday I'm going to find a knife that looks exactly like the Mistress in "The Adventures of Jim Bowie". The Mistress used in the Alan Ladd film also looked the same. I think Richard Widmark's Bowie in the "Alamo" was also about the same. Today I was surfing thru the net and ran across an Iron Mistress that I think you made. It also had a beautiful case. It really looked gorgeous and very close to the one's mentioned. BUT.. I can't find any info about the knife or how much it would cost me. Please email me at boharwood@mac.com and let me know. All the best,
Bo Harwood
Old 04-01-2013, 06:16 AM
Enthusiast

Simply beautiful.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:52 AM

Hi Bo,
Thanks for your inquiry about the Iron Mistress. This reminds me of what the late Paul Basch, the renowned knife appraiser who I regularly saw at the NYCKS said about my replica knife. He mentioned that it was one of the most beautiful copies he had ever seen and put an appraisal value of $3500 on it. I was in shock to say the least. Well, right after the show I sold it to a collector and have not made another one since but I have been thinking of making another one and I still have the original specs to do it. If interested let me know and thanks again for your comments.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:33 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Ten years have passed since the original posting by Jim Cooper of this fantastic Bowie by Lance. Those years have not lessened the skills of Jim or the beauty of that knife. I am saddened at the memory of our friend Gib, who posted here, and has since passed away. Sandy Morrissey

Tags
bee, blade, bowie, collector, film, iron, knife, made, making