MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 07-01-2006, 01:15 AM
Skilled

Must see video

You must see this video if you live in US.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...47761350501823
Old 07-01-2006, 06:12 PM
Master

Send a message via ICQ to Txcwboy
First mistake was STOPPING ! LOL punch it and the fun is on !

Dave
Old 07-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Master

Thanks for posting the link. All need to see this as are rights are being whittled away. Not that I advocate drugs etc. its just that if the same money was spent on finding a cure for cancer as is spent on marijuane (lawers, fines, money for people in jail, police time etc) maybe a cure could be found.

Old 07-02-2006, 01:43 PM
Master

the first scenario struck close to home.

years ago i was in the process of moving and on the way to the new apartment i got pulled over (for accelerating too fast..which i didnt think was a crime, i wasnt spinning the tires, speeding, or driving carelessly) the officer asked to search my car. i said sure, no prob because i didnt think i was breaking the law and didnt want to give him a hard time. well i had forgotten i was transporting a knife i was in the process of making. it had about an 6" blade and our local law limits it at 4"(or was it 3.5"?) the knife had never been sharpened, was in a felt pouch, packed in a box. the officer was new on the force and i think a bit high on his newfound powers. he tried busting me for carrying a concealed weapon. some older officers stopped by and tried talking him out of it because it was obvious i didnt have any illegal intent with it.

the ticket was changed to carrying a blade over legal limit and i had to go to criminal court. at the time i was in the process of hiring in as an armored car driver...i couldnt have anything on my criminal record. i had to hire a lawyer, pay lots of money, and finally got into a program called "diversion program" where i had to show up at court once every few weeks for 6months to make sure i was staying out of trouble. well eventually my record was wiped clean, i got the knife back(took about 7months) and everything worked out ok but i lost about $1,000 on a lawyer and lots of missed time at my job.

all this could have been avoided if i had just said "no you cant search my car"
Old 07-02-2006, 01:59 PM
Skilled

Guys,

what is a legal way to transport my knives locally? Shoul I have 10 knives hanging off my belt, so they are not concealed?

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUBE
the first scenario struck close to home.

years ago i was in the process of moving and on the way to the new apartment i got pulled over (for accelerating too fast..which i didnt think was a crime, i wasnt spinning the tires, speeding, or driving carelessly) the officer asked to search my car. i said sure, no prob because i didnt think i was breaking the law and didnt want to give him a hard time. well i had forgotten i was transporting a knife i was in the process of making. it had about an 6" blade and our local law limits it at 4"(or was it 3.5"?) the knife had never been sharpened, was in a felt pouch, packed in a box. the officer was new on the force and i think a bit high on his newfound powers. he tried busting me for carrying a concealed weapon. some older officers stopped by and tried talking him out of it because it was obvious i didnt have any illegal intent with it.

the ticket was changed to carrying a blade over legal limit and i had to go to criminal court. at the time i was in the process of hiring in as an armored car driver...i couldnt have anything on my criminal record. i had to hire a lawyer, pay lots of money, and finally got into a program called "diversion program" where i had to show up at court once every few weeks for 6months to make sure i was staying out of trouble. well eventually my record was wiped clean, i got the knife back(took about 7months) and everything worked out ok but i lost about $1,000 on a lawyer and lots of missed time at my job.

all this could have been avoided if i had just said "no you cant search my car"
Old 07-02-2006, 02:06 PM
Enthusiast

In the area of the state I live in, if you refuse they put you in handcuffs and call for backup, and bring the drug dogs. If they find nothing, your free to go, just hope they didn't tear up your car to much.

I-40 in western Oklahoma, I see the handcuffed people sitting next to the fence on the side of the road, while officers and drug dogs go through the car. I see it happen about once a week, and I only spend about 5 hours a week on that road.

Having rights and money for a good lawyer are two different things. But if someone has illegal items in their car, I guess it wouldn't hurt to refuse a search.

Lane
Old 07-02-2006, 02:54 PM
Skilled

Lane,

you didn't watch this video carefully. You don't refuse you "don't consent search". This is your constitutional right. They can't put you in cuffs for not consenting search. They have to come up with something reasonable as a cause of search if you don't consent. Like they suspect that you are a serial killer, because there is a decomposing corpse in your backseat.
If you welcome them to search they don't need any reason.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:25 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Keep them locked in the trunk. Knives and corpses. Like the man says, know your rights and practice them.

Old 07-02-2006, 05:50 PM
Hall of Famer

The boundaries of "reasonable cause" are very far apart, and the lines are fuzzy. I was once pulled over in Illinois while driving through on the interstate because my tires touched the white line on the side of the lane while trying to avoid a pothole. Apparently, two unmarked cars, 2 marked cars, and a canine unit were needed to issue me the warning not to drive on the white line again. . .
Old 07-04-2006, 04:42 AM
Master

from what the judge and lawyer told me, in my area (michigan) you need to have the knives locked in a box and placed in the trunk if they are illegal (oversized, switchblades, daggers, etc)

michigan passed a law a few years ago to make it where the average person can get a ccw fairly easily. i keep meaning to look into if its legal to carry an oversized knife with a ccw. even though they r called concealed carry weapons permits i think they are normally issued as pistol permits. it would be excellent if they covered large knives too.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:22 AM

I found the video captivating, and I found myself thinking EXACTLY as the first scenario, even though it was uncomfortable. Bad move, I see.

Thanks for the enlightenment!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??

Tags
blade, knife, knives