MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 05-14-2004, 04:23 PM

New Slipjoint Kit?!?!

I was looking for something over at knifekits.com and happened to notice there's a new kit ready to ship...a three blade sliploint no less!!! Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember any previous mention of this coming...but I'm not complaining!

By amazing coincidence I've become rather interested in slipjoints over the past couple of weeks. With all the focus on liner locks, I thought it might be neat to delve a little into the world of slipjoints.

This thought was triggered a couple of weeks back when I had the good fortune of spending the day watching Kenny Steigerwalt make a couple of folders at the annual "Rendezvous" here in Maryland (due to time constraints, he didn't finish them, but they are fully functional with heat treated ATS34 blade and lock...pinned but not yet peened so it can easily be taken apart). They auctioned off the two working/"training" models at the end of the day. One of the two folders was a pretty good sized (about 7" OAL), very smooth operating, single blade slipjoint...I was lucky enough to walk away with that, and have been playing with it ever since.

Having said that, I'm more than a little interested in seeing Darrel's kit version...

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Old 05-15-2004, 10:49 AM
Guru

Dennis,

I think they dropped a hint in the conversion knife thread. I have been watching out for it and the conversion knife the last couple weeks, hoping for an anouncement here. Glad you saw that, I am going there now to order it. The slipjoint is not my pick for a woods knife, but is perfect for some of the day-to-day office tasks, besides, I keep remembering my grandfather and his.

--Carl
Old 05-15-2004, 03:11 PM

I've worn a shoulder bag for over 25 years...and for many of those years I had a little Schrade pocketknife in the front zippered compartment. The slipjoint was given to me by my Dad and when my car was broken into and the bag stolen, oddly enough I was more concerned about the Schrade than my wallet, credit cards, etc. (I actually got the wallet back with all the cards intact, but never saw the knife again).

I never imagined that someday I might replace that knife with one of my own making...

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Old 05-15-2004, 07:18 PM
Guru

Dennis,

It seems everyone's Dad or Grandad carried one of these. I'll bet the nostalgia aspect of this kit will make it a hot seller, not to mention it will be a great little knife. I placed the order for 2 of the kits this morning, along with some misc things I had been waiting to buy.

Now if they will just put up the pre-reserve on the conversion knife I will be one happy camper.

--Carl

Tags
blade, knife, knives, pocketknife