MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 06-10-2002, 01:46 PM
Coop747

Bob Ogg slipjoint...

I was interested in an Ogg slipjoint that was offered on eBay a couple weeks ago, and when the knife closed without meeting reserve, I emailed the seller and made my offer. Well, I took the plunge and have this fine folder in my collection. It is surprisingly large, heavy and STIFF to open!! The closed length is 4 3/8" with a 7 1/4" OAL. It is a 'slipjoint', but WOW, I don't think it will ever 'slip'. Of all the knives I own this has the most stout backspring in the chest. More so than my Laguiole's.

IT has that signature 'Ogg' bolster shape, and someone did some very nice engraving on them. Also, what really appeals to me is the hand-checkered scales. Now THAT'S something that I don't see too often, and I like it.

The serial is #1323 and I'm told it is about 20 years old. This one is in very fine condition for it's age, and only shows a wear pattern around the pivot of the blade as the blade is opening and closing. There are other Ogg's that comeup from time-to-time, but I don't often see them with the extra engraving and checkering that makes this one so special. I am quite pleased at this purchase.

I want you to note the clever use of engraving at the pivot pin. The engraver circled this and made it disappear!

I am going to chase a note to Max Burnett on this, and see if he has a record of it's birth. (He is the son-in-law who is continuing the Ogg Knives namesake.)

While the rest of the world was at Blade, I was working on this. We ALL did good!

(Ogg Photo's taken at only 1200 resolution then cropped down and sharpened up a bit)

Coop

Old 06-10-2002, 07:03 PM
Cactusforge

Coop, You did good, a nice score a very nice folder. Gib
Old 06-11-2002, 05:29 AM
pmoore2

Coop, You do find some of the nicest blades around. Good eye.
Old 06-12-2002, 09:12 AM
mongoismyname

Wow, i got to see some of Bob's folders at
Bowies Hammerin. Thanks to Max for bringing them..
Im definetly going to be looking for one myself ..
Bob was Max's stepdad...
Old 06-12-2002, 09:25 AM
Diamond G Knives

Coop you got a dandy!

Mike
Old 06-12-2002, 11:50 AM
Riffiki

If anyone ever comes across a Ogg with DUCKWORTH stamped inside on the liner, let me know it was stolen from me.

Sam Duckworth
Old 06-13-2002, 11:32 PM
Master

A very high quality knife. Great engraving.

Old 06-18-2002, 09:51 PM

Addendum...

Well, this story continues, and gets more intrinsic as time has passed. Fortunately!

I have been in private dialog with Max Burnett, and I took him up on his offer to make me a fitted leather pouch for this fine knife, as a trade for the opportunity to admire it and handle it for a spell. Max was clearly overwhelmed by it's beauty once in hand, as was Max's mom--she was VERY emotionally smitten by this piece as it was such an outstanding example of her late husband's fine work. They both graciously let me know that *whenever* I might be ready to sell this jewel, to please think of them first. Because of the uniqueness of it, it would become the centerpiece of their own minimal collection. Max allowed that his mom's anniversary to Bob was actually coming up the next day, and what timing to have been afforded this chance to handle his work.... Well!

I said nothing and mulled it over, taking the time to talk to one of my buddies over coffee in the morning about the whole scenario. When I got back home I wrote Max and his mom a simple email with this as the subject: "Happy Anniversary!"

I told them how beautiful this piece was, and it had all the correct ingredients for my own collection. It's a star. But to me it's just another well-made knife by a fine maker. To THEM, it's an heirloom. There's a difference, and one that I could not deny. I could not enjoy this knife nearly as much knowing how much more valuable it would be to someone else--The Ogg and Burnett family.

So--I told them that knife was now theirs. Enjoy it as a gift on Bob's anniversary! But, give it away??? Nope, I wanted something in return. I asked for a knife! Max had offered in the past to 'horse trade' me if I was inclined, and I thought that a handmade knife from Max would be something that I could look forward to in the future.

Max and his mom couldn't have been more surprised and happy, and somehow it has all worked out the way it needed to. According to Max, his mom cried some real tears of joy at the coffee table on her anniversary, handling her newly returned husband's creation. You gotta love it! It's a four-way win-win encounter. I'm pleased to report that Knife Knuts are some *very* quality folks to be involved with! (As if you needed to be reminded! ) Max is geared up to create something "real special" for me, and you folks will be the first to know when it's done!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 06-18-2002, 10:34 PM
Steel Addict

Coop, my hat is off to you sir.

You have done a fine thing.

And horsetrading with Max is perfect.

ghostdog
Old 06-19-2002, 09:12 AM
Steel Addict

Very nice Coop
Mike

Old 06-19-2002, 11:17 AM
Skilled

Simply amazing Coop! I'll talk to you more this weekend at Stamford. By the Bye is there anything i should bring, knifewise that you'd like to see?

~ Cogito Cogito Ergo Cogito Sum ~
Old 06-19-2002, 03:06 PM
Guru

You're a good man Coop, well done indeed!

That's a very nice knife and it's in the right place now.

We definitely want to see what Max is making. I want to bet it has recurve

Roger

Old 06-19-2002, 04:36 PM

Jim-
Anywhere else this would be an extraordinary story. Knowing it's you and other knife folk involved, well it doesn't seem surprising. I just finished posting in another forum about how knifemakers are unlike any others I've ever encountered. There is a compassion and comradery that one can find nowhere else, and here you go proving it once again.

Yours was a wonderful, warm-hearted gesture that continues in a tradition that makes itself known over and over in these forums and among knifemakers everywhere, at least those I've met so far.

What goes around comes around...you'll get yours (if you haven't already).

Let's see that knife when it arrives...
Way to go!

Dennis
Old 06-19-2002, 04:54 PM

Thanks.....

...to everyone who responded to this post initially and after the 'addendum'.

Yup, you're all making me feel that much better about this decision, and, as Dennis said, this is an example of what I've found to be more the norm in this community. You can all take a little bit of credit for helping to form this attitude.

That's why we like it !!! 0]

Time will tell what Max delivers. It's gonna be a while--he's busy, and I'm in no rush.

Coop (who's been watching too much 'Touched by an Angel' for a motorcycle bum/knife freak!!! )

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 06-19-2002, 06:16 PM
Hall of Famer

Thumbs up

well done, sir

Tags
blade, knife, knives