MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Enthusiast

Finally found a decent anvil to start with

Well, I been looking for about a month for a decent anvil to get started back into knifemaking, (after a 13 year hiatus). It seems that finding an anvil around my general area isnt too awful hard, but finding a decent anvil at and AFFORDABLE price is a whole nuther matter.
Anyway, I placed a wanted ad on my local CL listing last night, and lo-n-behold...got a text from a local Farrier this morning. Wound up bringing home a basically unused 125# (although a little rusty) JHM Journeyman anvil. Read some reviews online and couldnt really find anything bad said about them despite being a cast anvil, so I decided to get it.
Fella said he really liked it, it was just a little too much weight to lift around all day for a travelling Farrier. I think it will do fine to get me back to pounding out some blades once I get everything going again, I plan on starting out small anyway. Will post a pic or two later.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Steel Addict

Congrats and have fun!

Old 11-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Enthusiast

Well it cleaned up really nice, just wire wheeled the snot out of it and it looks darn near brand new. Havin some computer issues and cant upload pics right now.
the guy has a 100# JHM that he uses to travel around with and says he loves it. I guess he got the 125# with the intentions of setting up a small home shop and just never got around to it, and figured someone may as well get some use out of it. Its not a Hay Budden...but it'll do for now, especially at the price I got it for.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:29 AM

Hit it!

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 11-04-2013, 05:38 PM
Enthusiast

I have a ways to go yet. Have to get the stuff to rebuild my forge...pipe, refractory goods, valves, regulator, blower...pretty much all have is the casing itself which is a 10" diameter pipe 16" long. I still have my two big propane tanks, even have propane left in them but Im not sure how much.
When tax time gets here I am just gonna bite it and get a KMG, my old 2 x 72 was a Grizzly and it was ok for a beginner to learn on, but left a lot to be desired in my opinion. I figure this time around its best to spend some cash and get something more versatile and much better made that dont need to be improved right out of the box.
Hopefully, I will get the forge rebuilt over the winter, gather up some of the other things I know Im gonna need like tongs and a few hammers...the list is pretty long. Thats why Im not in a big hurry, I figure its gonna take at least until late spring before Im ready to throw some hot steel on the anvil.
THEN I will have to re-learn everything, ...hopefully some of it comes back easily. Been brushing up on heat treating/tempering. Probably gonna keep things simple starting out...some 1084 and 5160, maybe some 1095. I still have a butt-load of 1" steel cable that I am sure will find its way into the forge. Maybe some chainsaw chains too. Im already looking foward to hearing the forge come back to life...I have truley missed it.

Tags
1084, 1095, 5160, anvil, art, back, bee, blades, blower, brand, chainsaw, forge, heat, home, hot, knifemaking, made, post, simple, steel, throw