MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:44 AM
Skilled

To put it simple, what keeps the steel from welding is oxygen. When oxygen reacts with iron the oxides have a melting point of over 4000F and will not allow the steel to fuse. Instead of flux to dissolve and coat the steel they put the billet in a mild or stainless steel tube and seal it (with a vent hole). It is then pressed together at welding heat. The "can" is cut off or becomes part of the billet. It's how a lot of mosaics come about.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:55 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

That's where you put some metals in a sealed container to weld them because they can't be welded in open air. For instance, powdered metals are done that way and it is also a method used for stainless steel. Mosaic damascus is often done that way. I would imagine it would be very difficult to do by hand so hopefully they will be allowed to use a press ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-25-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmkr20 View Post
a show about a out of work angry hobbit making giant goofy looking swords
Grin seen it

Gys
very new into the noble art of knife making
Old 07-28-2015, 09:00 PM
Steel Addict

Last night's episode was really interesting. I've never seen can welding before and thought that was really neat. Those rapier swords were nice.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:16 PM
Hall of Famer

I already have seen the one with the "can" welding. It was good. Too bad for J. D. Smith but even he admitted that he'd really goofed. I was hoping for something better from him as he's such an artist.

Doug

Old 07-29-2015, 04:25 PM
Guru

I have enjoyed each episode and believe that they are getting better as they go. Maybe they are learning what to edit and what to keep. I too was disappointed that J.D. had to leave early as I was looking forward to see what he was going to bring to the show.

I've done my share of cans before and was surprised that they asked them to use a thick wall pipe for their can. A thin wall pipe is MUCH easier to use (and get rid of). Also, I was taught to always leave a small vent hole in the end of the can which they completely ignored.

Gary

Old 07-29-2015, 05:15 PM
Skilled

I agree with you guys, the quality of the show has gone up. I wonder if it doesn't have to do with the quality of the smiths. The first few episodes were a lot of "back yard" makers. Now we are seeing full on bladesmiths with years of experience and the challenges are reflecting that.

Looks like next week they have to do the ball bearing. Not an easy steel to manipulate in 3 hours, remember the guys that tried bearings in the earlier episode. Both cracked their blades.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:08 PM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccustomknives View Post
Looks like next week they have to do the ball bearing. Not an easy steel to manipulate in 3 hours, remember the guys that tried bearings in the earlier episode. Both cracked their blades.
Probably 52100 which can be fussy on the H/T. Should be interesting.

Gary

Old 07-30-2015, 06:30 AM
Skilled

The show is getting better, but I still do not understand the emphasis on speed. Few, if any of these guys can really show what they may really be capable of doing. The time restraints seem to make some of them gamble on processes they know are wrong, have never done before, or are inherently risky, in order to beat the clock. Some of the losers may well be much better makers than some of the winners, if given the time they would normally require.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:14 AM
Skilled

Thats true wbe that some of the losers may be much better makers than some of the winners. However, I don't think that best maker is the point of the show. It's simply a competition up for grabs to whoever can perform the best in that time period. It's similar to sports, where the best team/person doesn't always win. Personally, I think the shortened time period make the show very interesting; it gives it some suspense. Obviously, when not in competition you wouldn't want to rush the way they do, but they are presented with a tough challenge that isn't one you would typically see in day to day knifemaking. This, I think, is the point of the competition, to see if you can do this tough and impractical task better than the people competing against you.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:52 AM
Skilled

I like the show, amd the episodes have been getting better. One of the things that kills me is in all but one episode these "professional" blade smiths can't seem to follow simple instructions. For instance last night's episode, the blade must be between 11-13" long. He measured it, cut the tang off and handed the judge a 18" blade

One thing that they should cover but they don't show in any of the rounds is tempering the blade. Being that this show is really produced for someone who knows nothing about knife making, it seems like a large error to not acknowledge this step.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:31 PM
Skilled

this show has produced the most asked question in the past month!
"have you seen this show..... "
*rolls eyes
this week ive been asked 14 times since sunday. its driving me nuts. its now taken the place of "ive seen these knives made from railroad spikes. have you made any of those?"

I don't have cable! even people who KNOW I don't have cable, or have asked me this question have reasked if ive seen this show. in going to have to make a #### sign to put on my table at this weekends shoe that says "NO IVE NOT WATCHED FORGED IN FIRE!"

ill try to hunt it down to watch some online somewhere, but honestly from what the first page of comments here, and what ive seen of other such shows.... Im expecting it to be more about drama, and entertaining people who don't know steel from toothpicks.

so rant being ranted...... IS THIS SHOW WORTH HAVING TO HUNT IT DOWN, OR SHOULD I JUST KEEP WAITING TILL IT SHOWS UP ON NETFLIX?
Old 08-07-2015, 05:10 AM
Skilled

Damon, wait or not? The show is entertaining. For a bladesmith the errors made stand out where for someone who doesn't know they wouldn't. To see those blades being tested, the looks on their makers faces is amusing. I think I put a link to it where you can watch it online.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:33 AM
Steel Addict

I know this is probably not new news but there is a History Channel App for IPhones and Ipads and they have the full episodes on the app for free. I do not know if this works in Cannada but it is available as free content.

Good luck.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:09 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVanderkolff View Post
Nope, doesn't work. Blocked for all Canadian sites and I don't know enough about the web to pretend to be from the US.
A little late to the thread I know but I'm in Canada and have watched em all.......

Tags
anvil, art, axe, blacksmith, blade, file, fire, forge, forged, forging, handle, home, how to, hunter, knife, knives, made, make, making, post, show, steel, stock removal, survival, temper