MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
"Ragnar's Dream" begins

I always try to do something "differnt" for the Blade Show each year, and like to challenge myself and have fun in the process. I've become a fan of the History Channel series Vikings. After chasing down a decent image of the main charater's weapon, I decided I would make my own version.....of course it will be my own redition. The body is "W" pattern mosaic damascus, the "bit" is 1 1/2" X 1/4" 1084, and the current plan is for a Bocote Burl handle, with rawhide "wrap". Here's my "inspiration":

The idea actually struck me when I found an old rusty hunk of steel in the blacksmith shop, and after grinding it down a bit and etching, remembered that it was a failed attempt at a feather pattern....HMMMMM. I reforged it to the size I wanted, and yesterday started the project......."Ragnar's Dream"

ragd1 by EdCaffreyMS, on Flickr

ragd2 by EdCaffreyMS, on Flickr

ragd3 by EdCaffreyMS, on Flickr

ragd4 by EdCaffreyMS, on Flickr

ragd5 by EdCaffreyMS, on Flickr

ragd7 by EdCaffreyMS, on Flickr

ragd8 by EdCaffreyMS, on Flickr

ragd10 by EdCaffreyMS, on Flickr
Sorry for the blurry photo...it's though to hold the work and snap a pick at the same time!

More coming as I proceed!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 04-26-2014, 09:22 AM
Master

you had my attention Ed right from the title !!! yes my fave show as well...........
this is a great start to what I think is going to be an awesome piece !!
looking forward to the progress pics !!

Rob

Old 04-26-2014, 12:25 PM
Steel Addict

Can't wait to see this unfold. Thanks for taking us along for the process.

Jeremy
Old 04-26-2014, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Been grinding for the past couple of hours..... it's almost ready for heat treating! Couldn't resist a quick etch before heat treating, just to see how things are looking.....

Got one little "booger" where the Ws overlap the edge section....but I think I can massage that out during finish grinding.

Another one of those "unsteady" pics..but you get the idea

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 04-26-2014, 02:02 PM
Master

"Ragnars Footprint"

Nice !!

Old 04-26-2014, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Well, nothing blew up during hardening! WHEW! That's always the real test if your welds are good.....and another reason I choose to use 1088/84 & 15N20 for nearly all my damascus.

Although there's a lot of "acreage" on something like this, none of is ever flat enough to allow marking/stamping, without warping something, so I took the route of least resistance.....marked it on the spine. Wasn't a lot of room there either, but at least I didn't have to spend time "tweaking" things straight again.

That will be all the pics for a couple of days....it's in the tempering oven, along with a couple of other "goodies" that I'll show everyone later. I always temper for 3 two hour cycles, allowing things to cool to room temp between cycles, so it will be tomorrow evening before I'm ready to get after finish grinding.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Old 04-27-2014, 12:25 AM
Steel Addict

Suuuper cool, Ed . It's really fun to get to follow along on these kinds of projects. I like the marks in the spine, too. I think it's a nice way to mark your work and leave the "body" clear for one's viewing pleasure . Good luck with all the hand sanding on that beast...

Jeremy
Old 04-27-2014, 09:15 PM
Steel Addict

Very Nice!

Old 04-28-2014, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Finsh ground and beginning the hand sanding...... right now it's at 600 grit, on the way to 1200 prior to etching. I think 600 is all I'll go for now.....until after the handle is built and fit...then I can finish it out to 1200 and get it etched.

600grit2 by EdCaffreyMS, on Flickr

600grit1 by EdCaffreyMS, on Flickr

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Old 04-28-2014, 05:41 PM
Master

Great set of pictures and cool project. I'll watch for the updates, and always look forward to your lineup for the Blade Show.

Take care, Craig
Old 04-28-2014, 05:42 PM
Skilled

Ed, I envision the Best of the rest award here.

Bing

Old 04-28-2014, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

I doubt it Bing! Certain judges don't handle any of my knives.....so it's unlikely that I'd ever win anything at Blade.....but it's a nice daydream!

I'm just havin lots of fun with this one!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Old 04-29-2014, 12:16 AM
Steel Addict

Super cool, Ed. Can't wait to see it finished out. That Bocote should be reeeaaally nice looking .

Jeremy
Old 04-29-2014, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

"Ragnars Dream".....The Handle

After looking through every chunk of wood in the handle material cabinet, I went with my original thought.....a nice piece of Bocote Burl.

Fist thing I did was rough shape the portion of the handle to fit the axe head......

Working with the belt grinder, and a fresh 50 grit belt, I got the handle to where the axe head just STARTED onto the handle......

Next I started shaping the handle with a slack 50 grit belt.....I never completely decide how any handle is going to look, until I'm actually working on it, and although it might sound weird to some, I use my hands as my eyes.....feeling the contours, and making changes/adjustments as I go. This piece will be rawhide wrapped, so I tried to picture in my mind what would lend itself to the rawhide warp, and yet still feel/look "good".

This is what it looked like after roughing it out with a 50 grit belt.....

Next was refining it with a 220 belt.....

From here it will be all "hand work", to finish fitting the head, and getting everything the way I want it. The plan is to finish the handle out with several coats of Tru-Oil, and once dry, finish out the head, and get ready to do the rawhide wrap.

Sorta ran outta gas for today......so I'll hit it hard again tomorrow!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Old 04-29-2014, 06:37 PM
Steel Addict

That's one heck of a piece of wood you got there. I know Bocote can be one of those "oily" woods. Do you have any problems with the tru-oil drying?

Jeremy

Tags
1084, art, awesome, axe, beginning, blacksmith, blade, bocote, damascus, edge, etch, etching, forging, grinding, hand, handle, image, knife, make, mosaic, pattern, project, shop, steel, wrap