MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 07-23-2005, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
On the way to school.....

I'll be heading for Kansas first thing in the morning! Off the GRS for a week long class with Steve Dunn. The hotel where I'm staying is suppose to have "free internet access", so I'm going to pack my laptop along and will hopefully be able to give a play by play of how the class goes. I've been practicing with my tools, but am at a point where I think I need more guidance.....I just seem to be getting "stuck" at various points in the process, so this is happening at just the right time!
I'll keep everyone posted and will likely be "on fire" when I get back home on the 30th.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 07-23-2005, 11:12 AM
Steel Addict

Ed:

As a former student from the OLD GRS facilities, I'd like to see what the NEW Facility looks like. So, take a few photos of the new school rooms, and the student's benches. Thanks

Mark, in Nashville, TN
Old 07-23-2005, 12:36 PM

Thumbs up School in Kansas

As a student at the GRS school a few months ago, I can guarantee you will be pleased with it. The equipment and fully supplied bench is only excelled by the professional instructors. You will be amazed at how quickly the first day's "jackhammering" slows to steady quiet sounds of engraving. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:54 PM
Skilled

Good luck Ed. I only live an hour and a half from there but have never been down there. Will be anxious for a report from you.

Old 07-23-2005, 01:06 PM
Skilled

Good luck Ed! Have a wonderful time. Does your wife get to go with you?

J

Old 07-23-2005, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! It kinda feels weird packing the suitcase and not having to get all the knive and associated show stuff ready too. In a way I'm looking at this as a small vacation out of the shop, but it's also a time to knuckle down and learn all that I can in the time I alloted.

Cindy will be staying home ..... but somebody's got to make money so the bills get paid!

Lynda from GRS was telling last time we spoke on the phone that they have a brand new training facility, so I'm anxious to see what it's like. The best part is that she told me it has air conditioning! According to the class schedule I received, there are a couple of hours each night set aside after the day's class has ended, where students can stay and work on their own......I know I'll be taking advantage of that!

I'll keep everyone posted at the week progresses.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 07-23-2005, 07:59 PM
Guru

Hey Ed!

I'm on my way to the school also! I left this morning, and am in a motel in Missouri tonight, so I should make it easy by tomorrow. Have a safe trip, and I'll be looking forward to seeing you again!

KempKnives.com
Old 07-24-2005, 07:22 AM
Steel Addict

Lawrence,
when you get back, stop by sometime since you are just down the road from me.
Scott
Old 07-24-2005, 04:32 PM
Guru

Hi Scott!

Yes I would love to stop and meet you sometime, and thank you very much for the invitation. You're right, Monteagle is just up the mountain from me. It goes both ways though, if you are around Ooltewah, please stop by.

Well I sure am glad I left Saturday and hit it early Sunday morning! Sat in traffic around Kansas City for a rough total of 4 and 1/2 hours. Am finally here though, and with time to spare. Luckily I had my audio learning tapes and a pad and paper with me, so I just went ahead and planned out my next ten years (in outline of course). Nice ride, but think I'll plan a different route back!! Traffic jams rate right up there with opening junk mail in my book. And here I thought all the construction equipment was tied up in Chattanooga.

I'm so excited about this class !!!!!!!!!!!!!

KempKnives.com
Old 07-24-2005, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

I made it here too! Sitting in my room at the Candlewood suites in Emporia. Got into Wichita about 4pm, and by the time I gathered the rental car and my luggage, I got on the road to Emporia about 4:30pm.
Traffic was really light, so the drive here was pretty easy....right up until I hit Emporia. Found Glendo easy enough, but the directions I had to the hotel were out there in left field!

After driving around for about 1/2 hour, I finally broke down and did the one thing a real man never does.......I asked for directions!

5 mins later I was checking in to the hotel. A trip to Wal-Mart, which is right across the street for grub, and now I'm set for the week.

I'm not gona worry about finding my way back to Wichita until the time comes. Looking forward to a great week of learning.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Old 07-25-2005, 06:12 AM
Steel Addict

Lawrence,
if you are into the driving expereince, and not everly pressed for time, there is a great road that runs along the southern edge of Missouri, from Springfield take 60 and then 160 across, cross the Mississippi river on the Dorena Ferry into Hickman Kentucuy, The 160 portion has good number of curves and rises and is great fun running 65-85+ mph on . from Hickman, go over to Paris and then down to I-40, its divided hwy from Paris onward

Te Ferry is a cool thing anyway you do it, if you want somethin more tame, you can just run across central MO on straight flat farm roads that intersect perpendicular with each other, but its much slower and ever so much more boring, unless you are into rows of planted crops and farm machinery.

here are some picture of our last Big River crossing from Missouri, on the Ferry at St. Genieveve, after spending the morning visiting with Ray Cover in his engraving shop
http://pilkguns.com//family/index.htm

Other routes homeward are back up I-35 a little ways, take hwy 75 south through Oklahoma, over to FT Smith and back on I-40 a nice run through Little Rock and Memphis that way, probably adds three hour to the drive.

Can you tell I have done this a time or two? ha!
Old 07-25-2005, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

1st day of class......

Well, the first day of class has ended. What a great day! It was mostly leaning the tools and how to use them, but the tips and tricks I picked up today was well worth the price of the class and the trip! We worked on English scrolls for most of the afternoon, then broke for dinner.
I had a wonderful time, having dinner with Larry Kemp. What a super nice guy! We ate and yaked, and just had good fellowship.... Then we went back to Glendo and worked from 6:30 til 8pm.
Where in the world does the time go when your sitting at the bench?! It felt as if I had just sit down and got engrossed in my efforts.....then boom! It's quitting time.

I can see where this is going to be another passion! It still looks like I'm digging ditches with a scoop shovel under the scope....but MAN IS IT FUN!

More to come......

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Old 07-25-2005, 09:25 PM
Guru

Thanks for those directions Scott! I may just try that for the ride home. Very nice of you to take the time.

And thanks for the kind words Ed. You're as nice a guy in person as on the net.

I am just blown away after the first day, and hooked for life. Steve is a great instructor, and I also can't believe how much I learned today. Now if I can just retain it, or remember where I put my notes. This is the smallest jackhammer I've ever used, and tomorrow I'm going to get better control of my trenches!

I'm Having A Ball !!!!!!

KempKnives.com
Old 07-25-2005, 10:06 PM
Skilled

Well share those tips and tricks!!!

Old 07-25-2005, 11:29 PM
Guru

Thanks for giving us updates on the school Ed.
Great thread!
I hope that with yours and Larry's comments/impressions, it might encourage beginners and professionals to take advantage of the hands-on training that's available out there.
I can't think of a better way to learn good work habits, while shortening the learning curve.
Please post the results of your efforts.

Welcome guys, to a whole new world!

Tim

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives