MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:50 AM
Steel Addict

Respirator

I have a decent respirator but I want to get a new one that is a full face respirator as I have noticed that even with safety goggles on my eyes seem to get metal dust in them as they ache after I grind and feel really dry. Does anyone use a full face respirator? What would be some good ones to look at that are not to expensive?
Old 11-24-2016, 10:53 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I tried one but it didn't work for me. They are generally expensive and can be difficult to wear with glasses, in hot weather, or with even a day or two of beard. Full face masks need an air supply. The supply needs to come from outside the area where you work or else you will be buying lots of tiny filters. On top of that, mine used a hose for air supply so I had to drag that around but some have more portable supplies with filters. If the air supply should stop for any reason you will need to get that thing off your face very quickly since there will be NO air available to breathe. Most of those masks have lots of straps to form fit the mask to your face and they don't all come off easily. Also, if you're thinking of using an air compressor to supply the air I can't recommend it. That air really stinks!

And, you probably have no chance at all of answering the phone before it stops ringing ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-24-2016, 11:06 AM
Steel Addict

I was thinking something like this
http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...U2waAnHH8P8HAQ

Or this
https://www.walmart.com/ip/North-Saf...&wl13=&veh=sem

I do wear glasses but am usually pretty clean shaven.
I just don't really like the fit of my current one and I can't find a pair of safety glasses that seal with this respirator. I also have trouble seeing anything below me with my respirator and goggles.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:09 PM

Ah, that type of full face mask. Well, I doubt you'll be able to see below any better with those masks than with a half face mask. You'll also want to keep a few extra lenses on hand for those as they will miraculously get scratched up more easily than you would think.

In effect, those masks are nothing more than half face masks with a face shield built on top. I have a very good half face mask and when I want better eye protection for certain jobs I add a full face shield like this one:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/AEARO-COM...hield/19675106

That solves the fogging problem, the heat problem, the eyeglass problem, and the expense and difficulty of replacing the shield in the full face respirator. I can even wear safety goggles under the shield if I really feel the need for additional protection. Plus, when I don't need it I don't have to support the extra weight which, trust me, you will start to notice on long grinding sessions ...

PS

Whatever type of respirator you decide on be sure to check the availability of filters before you buy. Those masks you are looking at are intended for painting and dust and, as such, have the wrong filters for what we do. In many cases, the correct filters are available but you need to be sure before you buy and you need to know their prices as some are ridiculously high and you will need to change them regularly....

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 11-24-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:59 PM
Steel Addict

I don't think the big face shield would work for the fine dust floating around irritating my eyes. I would like to find something either sealed or a pair of goggles that fits with a respirator so it completely seals. I have to rest my giggles on the nose piece of my respirator and fine particles can sneak under it and irritate my peepers.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:44 PM

OK, look into motorcycle or snowmobile goggles. If you have an Army surplus around your area they sometimes have goggles of various types ...

Old 11-24-2016, 02:57 PM
Steel Addict

I have a couple huge motorcycle stores by me a well as an army surplus store. I will give those a try. Thanks Ray. I am still getting a new respirator like I have but a different brand that hopefully fits better. Any suggestions on which brands are decent and which are not?
Old 11-24-2016, 05:01 PM

I'm not sure which ones might not be good but I have had good luck with 3M and with AO Safety. Again though, check to be sure you can get the filters we need for what we do which are quite different from painter's filters. I'd have to look them up to see what they are due to the onset of old timer's disease but, as best I can recall, we need filters that can handle organic vapors and some other vapors I forget at the moment. Those are the canister filters. Your mask needs to provide an additional set of dust filters that clip onto the canister filters. You probably are not going to find all this at the local hardware store, that's where that MSC catalog comes in. MSC handles all the products a machinist might need which, co-incidentally, happens to be largely the same stuff we need. I like their catalog but I understand young people have an aversion to paper so maybe you can find what you want at mscdirect.com . You might also note that MSC's mask generally come in three sizes since you mentioned yours didn't fit well. Some of their masks even come made with a choice of several different materials. This is how the pros do it ...

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 11-24-2016 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:32 PM
Steel Addict

Really? MSC? I'm excited, I have one or two about 15 miles from me. Ill go to there warehouse and talk to someone in person!
Old 11-24-2016, 05:54 PM
Guru

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Medium...A1-C/202080144
that's what I use. I also have a face shield that ray described before, I was thinking what about snowboard goggles, most of them have different lens's just get some clear ones, I think the snowboard gogles would fit nicely right on top of the respirator, just find a cheap pair they can get VERY expensive.... or something even smaller that seals what about swim goggles. not the big ones that cover your nose as that would get in the way of the respirator but ya know the lil ones basicly1 little goggle for each eye, like pro swimers wear, that might solve your problem the best as they seal but they are also real small and wouldn't interfere with the mask, to be honest my eyes are shot in the past year they have gotten bad but I think that's a whole different thing. I have never had my eye ache from dust and stuff after grinding, now having a lil piece of metal come flying off the grinder at like 60 mph and it make a direct hit in your eye, yeh that happens
Old 11-24-2016, 06:36 PM

You have an MSC outlet close to you? You are one lucky buckaroo ....

Old 11-24-2016, 06:47 PM
Steel Addict

I have two MSCs within 20 miles of me

I like the swing goggle idea, I am going to see what they suggest at MSC and go from there. Maybe they have some to try on or so.eone that can help fit your a mask?

Last edited by gkyle840; 11-24-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:44 PM
Guru

Cool Have Osha and AHERA certifications for respirators.

OK Kyle. I am an expert on respirators and OSHA and asbestos AHERA. AHERA is (Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act) an old law that goes back to the 80s about asbestos in schools. I made a bunch of money as an asbestos inspector and management planner for those schools. You need a respirator that is fitted to you as per OSHA regs, they have different sizes. Try a pair of scuba goggles by the way for your eyes, much more comfortable than a full face respirator and you can cut away any small area that may contact the mask, there are clear welding goggles as well.

A HEPA filter blocks all particulates down to .3 microns and that is so small it blocks all the particulates that gives smoke its visibility, but not poisonous gasses. For most grinding a High Efficiency Particulate Absolute filter is all you need Kyle. If you are grinding phenolics like Micarta (and burn it) or messing with some solvents then you'll need a chemical fume blocking carbon filter. A HEPA filter in most cases is all you really need with some caveats like I said.

You said you had a MSC near you, better check as there are only Five actual warehouses and all the others are just field offices YOU PAY shipping too from those warehouses.
http://www.mscdirect.com/corporate/locations
Try Grainger, if you call them and order they do not charge shipping to their distribution center. Call and check if they have someone who is certified to fit a respirator as there are different sizes. Look and see what size you have now and decide whether you need smaller or bigger. There should be some lettering on it somewhere. Clean shaven is necessary for half face masks and even a full face if you have a beard that crosses the seal to your skin anywhere. Moustaches are OK though.

The method for seeing if a mask fits you is easy enough, you just breathe normally while popping Smelling Salts all around the seal on your face so you can do it yourself. If the Smelling Salts make you gag it doesn't fit. A HEPA filter stops Smelling Salts by the way. Both Grainger and MSC should carry the Smelling Salts or your local old pharmacy, don't know about the big chain ones carrying them any more, but the older ones usually still do. Now you know more than you ever wanted too about respirators.LOL

Last edited by jimmontg; 11-24-2016 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 11-24-2016, 10:21 PM
Steel Addict

I see what you mean about only 5 fulfillment locations for MSC. I checked out there site and there is an MSC branch about 20 min north of me (columbus) as well as a fulfillment center in Columbus. I also have a Granger industrial about 15 min from me. Would Granger be the better choice?
I will be sanding wood, micarta, using the forge for heat-treat, and I will be using it in the warm months to apply pesticides but I will obviously get an organic cartridge or whatever I may need for that.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:04 AM
Guru

Grainger or MSC for you is more about who has the better price Kyle. Grainger will charge shipping if you order online instead of by phone by the way. As for the forge I always used sunglasses as the light hurt my eyes. You can buy a tinted face shield as well as a clear one for that. Snug safety goggles are what you may want. Check and see if there is an environmental supply company near you as they will carry everything you could want as well as the big industrial suppliers like MSC and would be far more knowledgeable on what you need.

Tags
army, brand, clean, dust, forge, grind, grinding, hand, handle, handles, hardware, heat, hot, lock, make, metal, ore, problem, products, safety, store, supplies, supply, tiny, ulu