MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion

Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion What's hot in the industry. General information about factory knives and mid-tech knife products are discussed in here. Tips, maintenance and modifications also... come on in!

Old 12-10-2005, 11:10 PM

Chris Reeve Tanto - a small limited run

I was mainly fooling around making knife photographs and liked the way this one turned out.

The knife itself is (I'm told) unusual for its Tanto style blade. This one was from a very limited run and apparently Chris Reeve doesn't even like the Tanto style. There are certainly none featured on his web-site.

It's a tough blade due to the full thickness spine but uncomfortable to hold and use without a glove. Although I removed it for the photograph, I put a black rubber mountain bike handle-bar grip on the handle and that works like a charm. The end of the handle un-screws revealing a water-tight storage space inside.

I haven't found much use for the knife really. It doesn't chop well because of the blade grind and weight distribution and it transmits vibration and shock un-dampened to the hand. There's no belly on the blade and the whole thing is too long for a utility knife (9 inches and 13 3/4 OAL). In the class of single guard knives this size and price-range I would pick, for example, the Randall Model 16 'Diver's Knife' as it will do everything this knife won't.

If anyone else would like to comment - please do. I'm open to being educated in case I'm missing something here. I purchased this knife very early on in my knife-collecting 'career.' That's how we learn, I guess.

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 12-22-2005, 01:57 PM
Steel Addict

I LOVE That!! That is schaweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!! That is one BA knife!!!

Favorites: Rick Hinderer, Darrell Ralph, Mike Obenauf, Allen Elishewitz,Jens Anso,Tom Mayo,Peter Atwood, Matt Cucchiara, Shane Sibert,Patrick Nihiser,Tom Krein,Kevin Wilkins, Peter Carey, John W. Smith.........
Old 03-22-2006, 03:12 PM

Cool Tanto 1

Buddy,
I have one just like yours. It's kind of a cool looking knife and fits very well in the "TACTICAL" catagory. I don't much like regular tantos with just one side ground streight. When you try and cut food with a regular the knife wants to go in the opposite direction then I want it to making a lousy food cutter. However, the Tanto 1 is double ground and sharpened on both sides. this makes sliceing cuts much more effortless.
I have never used mine except to put some survival stuff inside of the handle.
I personally would like to sell mine or trade it for something else in the $400 range ($415 MSRP) for the T1. With my fat belly I can't carry a knife this long comfortabley.
I am new to this forum and don't know how selling is handled here. I would sell mine for $375 or trade for something of equal value and quality.

One thing about Chris Reeve Knives is that the quality is always there!

If I am out of line about talking selling then please set me streight for the future.

Ciao
Ron Cassel
Old 06-18-2006, 03:12 PM

Smile Tanto1

Buddy,
I hope you don't mind but I borrowed your picture because it's a lot nicer then my own picture. My knife is the same as yours but I just like your picture better!

Ciao
Ron
Old 06-19-2006, 03:16 AM

No worries, Ron. Glad you liked the picture.

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 06-21-2006, 11:54 AM

Thumbs up Picture

Thanks Buddy, you take an outstanding photo. Wish I had that kind of talent.

Thanks again
Ciao
Ron
Old 06-24-2006, 04:26 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to LaBella Send a message via MSN to LaBella Send a message via Yahoo to LaBella
Thumbs up

I have one too, also interestingly enough he made a small run for the NICA in a real small handle length. He also made 2 tanto sebenzas for the NICA of which I have one version of each. I dont think he dislikes the tanto at all?!

I love his fixed blades and try to collect them all.

Tags
blade, knife, knives