MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:48 PM

Fingers crossed

Tomorrow I am heading to a retired knife makers home to try and buy up all his left over stock and equipment. This hobby is getting expensive! I hope to get my hands on a decent metal band saw, as my arms are tired of using a hack saw. I guess we will see what treasures he may have.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:43 PM
Skilled

Good luck, Let us know what you score.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:30 PM
Master

Good luck man! I hope you do well on a side note the hack saw will keep you in better shape lmao.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:47 AM
Hall of Famer

If you don't want to pay $500 for a custom knife, go buy $10,000 in equipment and go make your own!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:32 AM
Hall of Famer

Makes sense to me.

Doug

Old 01-26-2013, 09:05 PM

What a bust......, The guy who claimed to be a "knife maker" was an amateur kit knife assembler at best (one who puts his name on the blade as if it was his own). About the only thing of interest was his ancient grizzly knife grinder and it was so rusted that god knows where he has been storing in for the last 10 years. He did have quite the plethora of brass bar, and pin stock. I attempted to negotiate a price on this stuff and I was promptly told that if I would not buy everything then I could not buy any of the materials. I said no problem, tipped my hat and I was on my way.

Oh well, I did get to go check out the winter range for mule deer, and ran into 4 moose in a group (not common) on the way home. I also stopped by the taxidermist with my buddy to look at his full mount cougar that is just getting finished up so the day was not a total loss. I did locate a metal ban saw and I am going to look at it tomorrow, hopefully this will pan out as I did lose a day of experimenting with my grinder.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:51 PM
Steel Addict

well Chase, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

some of my best finds were on trips that i thought might not pan out. and now you know were your going hunting this fall... ha

Erik

Tags
bee, blade, brass, common, custom, custom knife, hobby, home, hunting, kit, kit knife, knife, make, make your own, man, materials, mount