MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:59 AM

New to this forum, thought I would show some of my work!

My name is Craig and I've been a member of the BladeForum's site for a while as well as the LeatherWorker.net site. I've shown off my work at both sites and have received guidance from several members here (who are also on the other forums). I'm an Eagle Scout and my time in scouting is what turned me on to knives and leatherwork.

I am a hobbyist knifemaker, currently making knives from blanks while I hone my knowledge on actual stock removal knifemaking.

I got started in this last year, making a couple pieces here and there. I received my first order for a knife last fall, and have several orders since then. I really enjoy the leather work, probably more so than the knife making. I'm looking to start branching out with items other than sheaths soon, I made a belt for a friend and I'm checking into dog collars, cell phone cases and what not.

Anyway, here are some pictures of my work. I hope you enjoy them!

This is my first sheath after watching Chuck Burrow's DVD MULTIPLE times...I think I even slept to it many nights to help my subconscious soak up info .

This is the knife and sheath (from above), my 2nd knife.

This is my first knife order and my 2nd sheath:

Old 09-25-2011, 11:00 AM

Continued:

This is a matching set for a father and son; 3rd and 4th sheaths:

An order for a police officer's boot dagger, sheath is made for outside boot carry with clip and velcro strap:

That last pic is during construction and I can assure you that the back is NOT that rough looking, lol. I took care to smooth and bevel the stitch groove.

Last edited by GrizzlyKnives; 09-25-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:04 AM

Order for a father's birthday:

My most recent knife and sheath order:

And this was a sheath I did for a fellow knifemaker, sorry for the grainy pic...was not using my normal camera:

Old 09-25-2011, 11:06 AM

Thanks for looking! I really really need to get a light box for photographing, these pieces look so much better in person.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:55 AM
Steel Addict

craig,
welcome to the network.
Nice collection of work.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:10 PM
Steel Addict

Good looking sheaths, nice work. good looking edges. How'd you get them rounded that way? That's how I would like my edges to look.
Charlie

Last edited by cordless101; 09-25-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:46 PM

Thanks John and Charlie!!

As for the edges being rounded...I really don't know "how" I did it, it just happened! After seeing other sheaths, I was afraid that they were rounded TOO much lol!

Here's what I do. When I am glued and stitched, I sand down my edge using my belt sander, my dremel with a drum bit and by hand. When my edges are as smooth as they can be, I take an edge beveler and hit the corners. But (and here is where I thought I messed up), I don't just do it one time, I hit the main corner, then bevel the 2 corners that were made from the first being beveled.

After that, I burnish them with a combination of things...I don't have a burnisher yet, so I just used what I had laying around. I use a sharpie; sometimes I use the smooth round shaft of my edge beveler; and sometimes I use the handle of my spoon modeler. I wet the edge with water and burnish that way. Once I think I'm about 90% done, I add some gum trag and burnish more.

I hope that helps!
Old 09-25-2011, 11:40 PM
Enthusiast

All of these are some great work sir. Makes my work look down right rough....

-Geoff

Tags
knife, knife making, knifemaker, knifemaking, knives, sheath