MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:40 AM
Steel Addict

Leather from Tandy?

Hey folks!

How many people here buy their leather from Tandy? Is there a quality difference in their stuff? Is it better, worse, about the same? I just don't seem to be able to achieve the quality of finish I want in my sheaths. The dye is not just quite right... The edges are not quite right even though I hand sand to 600 grit following the methods you all use, etc... I know there is ALWAYS room for skills improvement, but I wonder if the leather I am getting has something to do with it.

Thanks!
-Jason

Old 09-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Skilled

Jason,

I was able to stop by the Tandy store in Atlanta some time back so I was able to go through their stock. I was totally unimpressed. I probably looked through 8 different sides and didn't see even one that I would pay $2.00 a foot for much less the price they wanted.

I think the "Masters" recomment Wickett and Craig. The next time I order, that's where I plan to shop. Their prices aren't much more than Tandy's and the leather I saw at Sandy's is top notch. The stuff I make may not be the caliber of some of the other makers but if I start off with good leather, I have a better chance to approach their level.

Just my .02.

Carey

You are cordially invited to check out my web site:
Handmade Knives by Carey Quinn
Old 09-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Steel Addict

I've only ever seen junk at Tandy. I'm all done shopping there.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:07 PM
Enthusiast

I believe that once you have tried Wickett & Craig you will NEVER go back to Tandy for leather.
I only go there for stuff I need right now....because there is a store conveniently located for me.
It's not my intention to rip on Tandy, it's a great place to start. But try W&C...you'll be glad you did.

Rayban
www.rgleather.freehomepage.com
Old 09-19-2007, 08:25 PM
Skilled

I started w/ leather from Tandy. I too had finishing issues. The last leather I got was from Wickett & Craig and the difference is dramatic. The W&C materials finishes evenly and workd beautifully. I will never again buy from Tandy. Ya gets exactly what ya pay for!!

Old 09-19-2007, 09:31 PM
Skilled

Gonna have to get some from W&C the next time I get some.
I've got a side I got on sale half price, so grabbed it to practice on while I'm still kinda learning.

Bcarta Composites
Stabilized Woods
Old 09-20-2007, 07:53 AM
Skilled

If you just can't believe what the top makers say, try a little test. Bite the bullet and buy Tandy's very best grade shoulder and buy W&C's second best grade shoulder. Take a piece from each side by side and do your normal steps. Compare how the edge creaser runs, how each stamps and carves, how they take dye, etc. If you want a natural neatsfoot finish, try that, but expect shades of gray from the Tandy and a rich finish from W&C. Bet a dollar to a donut that you may use the Tandy for welts and nothing else.
Rick
Old 09-20-2007, 01:52 PM
Steel Addict

In North Carolina a good place to go is Zack Whites up in Ramseur. I havent bought from Tandy in years but always have good luck with ZW. The last time I was there they had just gotten shoulders in and had a stack as high as your head and all were good stuff. They literally have thousands of hides there of all kinds.
I always enjoy prowling around and looking at everything, and although I promise myself I will only pick up a few things I always leave with a bunch and an empty feeling in the ole wallet. You know how it goes , once you get it paid for, it doesnt eat anything and its always better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Sheaths are a very small part of what I do, but I enjoy making them ,and from all the good feedback on W&C I think I might have to order my next shoulder from them and see if I have been missing out.

Jerry Fisher

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u23/nthe10ring/
Old 09-23-2007, 12:08 PM
Master

Send a message via ICQ to Txcwboy
Ive used and use Tandy leather for a long time. I go look at mine before I buy it but I have been fairly pleased with my experience. I have a tax number and I get wholesale prices there. W&C doesnt offer wholesale that I know of. I would like to get some of the W&C stuff but just havent had 100 bucks to drop on a piece of leather that will sit around for a while before i use it. If I want to make a belt I dont want to have to pay 100 for a piece of leather to make 1 belt from. Maybe someday

Dave
Old 09-26-2007, 07:28 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll try W&C and see if I notice a difference. There is always the possibility that it's just me.

Dave, I know what you mean about the prices at Tandy. I get the wholesale prices too, and that really helps in the checkbook. Maybe I just got a bad piece.

-Jason

Tags
blade