MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 12-07-2002, 09:33 AM
Steel Addict

small knives pics

Here is a pic of a knife I made to use at work for opening cardboard boxes. 1084 steel handle, ringed gidgee handle.
I have since decided it looks a little too unfriendly so ended up making a sheepsfoot design. Blade is etched in ferric chloride. I wonder if the pic will show up??? Not quite up to the standards of some of the other knives here but you got to start somewhere...
Not shown is a kydex sheath
Here is another pic of another knife with a ringed gidgee handle
1084 steel again, satin finish with mosaic pins.
How much would something like this sell for in the States ?? For the bottom pic I sold it for $40 Aud, (20 $USD) which is a little too cheap (but was twice materials cost and it was to a friend).
Stephen
Old 12-07-2002, 09:36 AM
Steel Addict

hope I havnt broken any forum rules by mentioning price. Sorry if I have
Stephen
Old 12-07-2002, 09:50 AM

Stephen,

First off, Welcome to the CKD. . . .

You have some great looking knives there. I really like small knives.

In the States, the Ringed Gidgee costs $20.00 or more.

You did your friend a favor with that price. As a hobby maker you can afford to let things go at whatever price you want. But making a knife is not just the materials. It is your time, tools, shop overhead, supplies (sandpaper, belts, glue etc ) All this should be figured into the price of a knife.

Just cause they're small doesn't mean that they are cheap.

Just my opinion,

Bob Sigmon
Old 12-10-2002, 10:48 PM
Living Legend

Cool Gday Stephen, I'm a little South of you.

Handy little thing. Bob's comments are quite apt. I am also a part-time maker but recently, I've taken it far more seriously and my prices reflect that. The $40 aussie sounds like just covering costs for you, and that surely doesn't include the sheath ! Your fit and finish looks quite tight. But don't do anything that isn't fun for you, OK ? Actually, I don't think it looks unfriendly at all - in fact looks like a most serviceable knife that will serve you or your friend well.

Do you forge or stock remove from 1084 bar ? Also I'm interested to know where you got 1084 from. (? Keith)

Keep it up. Cheers.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 12-11-2002, 05:08 AM
Steel Addict

Hi there
I got the 1084 from Admiral Steels in America by their website and a credit card. Its true I didnt make any money on the knife 8-(. I gave a quote without thinking. 8-(
Stock removal. I bought US$50 worth of steel to practice on. I have decided that my heat treating of carbon steels isnt that best so I wont be making any more out of it to sell to other people,any others if made for selling I will get Hills Heat Treatment in Melbourne to do them out of D2,440C or ATS34. I did make a forge yesterday so I am in the process of trying to learn how to forge
For some reason I like tomahawks, and wanna try making a forged one. (I have ground 3 or 4 out of saw blades). Heck if i get my forge running properly maybe I will get better at heat treating carbon steels.
How much would you charge for somthing like I have done??? One guy suggested $60US.
Do you think that sounds right??
(I have decided to attempt to make money from knifemaking cause my main job dosnt pay that much and cause I have spent too much money on tools). Have you got any pics of the stuff you have made Jason???
How do you do yours? grinding or a forger??
Stephen
Knifemaker with poor business sense 8-(
Old 12-11-2002, 03:54 PM
Living Legend

Thumbs up Gday again, Stephen

I have photos but haven't figured out the internet and all this new-fangled tech stuff. I've started displaying at Australian knife shows but the next one will be at the Knifemakers Guild Show in May in Melbourne. I'm on the Show Committee and will be encouraging attendances by all, makers and collectors.

If you are starting off by forging, I reckon you have much greater scope for flexibility in designs and the ability to make bigger knives and get the knowledge base a lot quicker. I'm only relatively new at all this myself, but talking to other makers, if you want to make money in knifemaking then you need a very determined, business-minded approach.

Thats not to say it can't be all fun, but you do need to get into keeping logs and ledgers for cash in and outs. You also need to keep up with "trends" and try to make a name for yourself, one way or another. Self-promotion is key, but you don't always need it. If your work is good, with some basic exposure, you will get "known."

Suggestion - big knives, collector grade bowies, exotic handle materials, Damascus, especially mosaic damascus, temper lines, thats one way to go ! The other is folders of any sort.

My own approach has only raised prices to the point where it has become a self-sufficient hobby with poverty-level profits as pocket money after all expenses are covered. My prices have almost doubled in the last 1 year. (I've only been making knives for 13months.) But your prices for a friend are spot on. You've got to start low and do a few favours, then price according to demand.

Not sure if this applies top you and its getting off the thread a bit, but feel free to email me and have a blade-chat anytime. Do you know Keith Spencer also stocks 1084 and L-6 bar stock for forging ?

Cheers.

(Matthew 10.16)

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knives