MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Enthusiast

I have little bubles, but they're on the outside edges from compression differential. I have had tiny bubbles happen when I wrap a tang. (Get the tang roughed with 60 grit mix resin to hardener dip fabric strip into resin and wrap tang, looks sweet just haven't perfected my hardener-resin ratio)
Old 04-19-2012, 08:21 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdale View Post
I haven't noticed any bubbles in mine, I am thinking the bubbles are a result of your application method. How do you apply the resin to your fiber?
The first layer I dip right into the resin then every other layer I just pour some resin on and spread it around with my fingers sort of squeegy the resin around if you know what I mean. I use lots of resin to make sure everything is saturated. Then I clamp it between two 1.5" thick steel plates in our 8" vice and crank it right up.

If you guys want a resin with more working time you should go to a fiberglass shop that does vacuum bagging they should have a resin that has about an hour work time. Thats what I use, its a bit thinner then the standard polyester resin but still works good.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:38 PM
Skilled

Your method sounds just like mine. I can think of a few possible contributing to your bubble issue. You might be introducing air into the resin during mixing, you could try using a bondo squeegee to chase out any entrapped air, or you could try tightening the vice/clamps more to force out any extra bubbles.

Has anyone tried bondo fiberglass resin for there denim micarta? If so, how were your results. I finished off this handle the other day I, it concerns me that if i get it wet it feels different and the color darkens. I think its the out side exposed layer of fabric absorbing water. It returns to normal after dry, but i was wondering if there is something i can use to seal it up?

Old 04-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Master

That turned out really nice man!

I will try the squeegie next time I make some. I couldnt clamp it any tighter then I had it lol. I made 24 layers less then 3/8" thick. I used a big 8" vice to clamp it with all my might. the other batch I made I clamped with 5 vice grips and its over 1/2" thick.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:28 PM
Enthusiast

Nest time I make some, I'm wearing a respirator and an extreme exhaust fan. And when it comes to sanding, can it be done wet? The particulate (I was wearing a dust mask) made me sick, like feel like death for 3 days sick
Old 04-22-2012, 12:14 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden H View Post
Nest time I make some, I'm wearing a respirator and an extreme exhaust fan. And when it comes to sanding, can it be done wet? The particulate (I was wearing a dust mask) made me sick, like feel like death for 3 days sick
I'm sure you could wet sand it man just dont let it stay wet any longer then needen thats all. Its weird how different things bother different people. I can work with polyester all day and i'm fine as far as feeling like death goes lol. If your having a tough time with polyester maybe epoxy would be a bit more friendly on you. Here is what my micarta looked like after I ground it down and polished it. It turns out that they are not bubbles but it seems like they are little white particles that might have been right in the cotton to start with . . . Not slackers micarta on the other time!!! that stuff looks great!!!!

Last edited by metal99; 04-22-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:20 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden H View Post
Yes you can sand it wet. Polyester resin is often used for building boats, surfboards, etc...which spend a fair amount of time in the water.

Careful with the dust. some people have more of an allergic reaction to it than others. In severe cases it can even kill you.

Also from what I've read the more exposure you have to it, the worse it can become....even if you had no allergy to it to begin with. It didn't bother me at first, now, a few years later, it itches like crazy when it gets on my skin. Minimizing your exposure to it reduces the chances of developing an allergy.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Enthusiast

So a class what respirator is needed?
Old 04-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Master

I would get a good 3m or norton (north?) charcoal/particulate respirator. Make sure that when your not using it you keep it in a container or sealed bag because the charcoal keeps working till its full so you have to seal it up when not using it. The rule of thumb is it has 8 hours of work time once exposed to air.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:59 PM
Enthusiast

So thered be no point in trying to seal it up, when I start working and put on a mask, I work until the early AM hours
Old 04-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Master

sounds like something I do almost every time I work on the knives lol. I just put in about 12 hours today
Old 04-23-2012, 05:02 PM
Enthusiast

Start at around noon, go in at 1 or 2 in the AM
Old 04-23-2012, 09:10 PM
Master

One thing you could do is set up an exhaust hood to grab the fumes and direct them elsewhere. I set one up when I was doing aluminum anodizing and it worked very well. Without it the fumes would fill up the room in a matter of minutes and burn your lungs, with it running you couldn't even detect fumes. I suspect it would work as well for resin fumes.

That won't help much when sanding but it would help with fumes when doing the actual layup....which is when most of the styrene evaporates.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Enthusiast

Alright boys, got another handle done with a micarta wrap. Sanded it down, looks pretty nice theirs tiny bubbles in one spot, I'll try to post pics tomorrow. And 3rd times the charm, finally had a reaction to the stupid resin
Old 04-23-2012, 11:40 PM
Master

Its funny how it affects people differently. Lots of my wifes family is involved in the fiberglass industry and it doesnt bother them at all but some other people I know that they had working for them broke out in no time.

Hayden, I can't wait to see the pics!!!

Tags
art, blade, boker, brand, camo, easy, handle, home, knife, knives, leather, lock, make, material, polish, post, press, project, resin, simple, steel, supply, tang, tips, video