MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 05-18-2006, 08:28 PM
Registered

DDR 3 BL construction

I've never done anything more complicated knife makingwise than re-assembling a production folder that I had taked apart to clean, but I was recently taken by the DDR 3 BLs looks and lefty friendly design. With my almost non-existant experience level and a dremel how hard would this kit be to make? What other tools would I need to make this knife? Thanks.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:19 PM
Skilled

Not hard! A dremel and sand paper can pretty much do it! Drillpress would be handy if doing your own scales!

http://www.schottknives.com
Old 05-18-2006, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

It's really not hard. You could slap it together with nothing more than a small torx screwdriver. That's part of the beauty of Darrel's knife kits. The other part is that the time you spend smoothing things out and making things fit well will really pay off. The most important part of knifemaking is not the number of tools but rather the amount of care and effort that you put into doing things the best that you can. You may surprise yourself with how well this one turns out!!

Old 05-19-2006, 12:24 AM
Skilled

Dandyandy,

Welcome to the forums first of all. Let me encourage you to use the knifekits forum rather than this one. You'll get a lot more answers.

These guys are right, a torx driver will put it together but it's all the other work you do that will make it special.

Not to be picky and not to discourage you but you said you were a "lefty"? The DDR3 BL means it has a button lock that has to be pushed in before the blade can be opened by the thumb-bob. It's almost a two handed job even in the right hand. Now, you can put a spring in and make it an auto but depending where you're from, that may be illegal to carry. BUT, the regular DDR3 is very lefty adaptable and looks almost identical if you get the straight bolster. It's much easier to assemble too since the button mechanism is not there to mess with. Just my opinion geared to your experiance. I've found that finishing an easy one will cause you to want to do another one and then you'll understand some of the basics to finish a harder one. But remember, we're here to help with which ever one you make.

Talk to ya soon.

Bill
Old 05-19-2006, 07:34 PM
Registered

Thanks for the advice, it's been very helpful. As to opening the knife, I'll use the same method that I figured out on a friends button lock. Depress the button with my index finger and flick the thumbstuds with my thumb.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:01 PM
Registered

Hi Dandyandy,

As a lefty, I use the same technique to open a button lock, and I appreciate the push button ease of closing it. In contrast, I find it much harder to close most liner locks.

I just ordered one of these kits myself.

Cheers.

Tags
blade, knife