MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:23 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to levensailor.r
Levensailor knives

I was just curious ?? My son ask me the other day why I dont use used motor oil for heat traeting my blades ..He said he seen a show on TV that was talking about how used motor oil will put more carbon in the blade ?????? Ive read something about that before but just dont see how this can happen being all thats touching the blade when heat treating is a vapor..Ive always used olive oil and have had good results but always wanting to learn something new..Maybe someone can help me here..

Old 06-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Hall of Famer

You need to gently tell your son not to believe everything/much/anything that he hears on the television. Motor oil can have additives in it that can cook off and be absorbed by the lungs. It also tends to be a little on the slow side as a quenchant.

You cannot add carbon to the steel this way either. That takes being closed into crucible with a carbon source to add carbon to it or a case hardening compound.

My advice is to stick with the olive oil or get a commercial quenchant that matches the steel that you are using.

Doug

Old 06-01-2013, 04:36 PM
Skilled

What Doug said, but I believe you would find canola oil quenches better, however, a suitable commercial oil will beat all the grocery store oils. In the long run they are really no more expensive because their qualities last longer.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to levensailor.r
Thanks I dident think that was true but never know till you ask..lol..I have been thinking of getting a different quench oil.. Thanks again.

Tags
advice, bee, blades, heat, knives, steel, store