MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:56 AM
Steel Addict

Advice on Stack Leather Handles

I know I am in the sheath making forum asking about making a handle, but I am almost
at witts end trying to get a perfect handle, can you guys help?

I am new to this site and although I can make a traditional handle I have been having issues with getting a leather stack handle turn out like I think it should.

I decided no matter how silly I may sound by asking this questions in a sheath forum, I would risk it just to get some advice from the guys and gals that work with leather.

Any advice about sites to visit, or tips would greatly help.

Jeff
Old 11-08-2011, 08:52 PM

Here is a link https://www.brisa.fi/portal/index.ph...1&limitstart=0 to a tutorial on the Brisa website on a leather stacked knife handle. Brisa is a Finish knifemaking supply house.

Last edited by RandyScott; 11-08-2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: correct a typo
Old 11-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to KNet!

What problem are you having with them, being too loose, sanding them to shape, adding spacers, using glue or no glue, dying them, choosing leather thickness, the best source for them, etc?

Let us know and we'll be glad to help.

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 11-09-2011, 12:41 AM
Steel Addict

Alex, Thank You for the reply.

I hate to admit it, but all of the above.

I can never get them tight enough, never happy with my shape. I have been told by some builders to soak them first, others tell me not to soak. I have been told that there is a 40% compression rate when you soak the leather, then it will expand and become tight when they dry. Totally confused!!!
Old 11-09-2011, 12:55 AM
Steel Addict

Randy, Thank you!!

That link helped a lot.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Jeff,

Let us know if you're still having problems with them after trying the tutorial techniques.

I think that stacked leather handles are some of the best feeling handles in the business. I've always loved knives that used them.

Here's a couple of photos of one that we got a peek at from Cory Speh last week. He used a Ranger Classic kit and added his own stack leather washer handle with spacers.

Make sure you post some pictures of yours when you're done!! We want to see how it turned out...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ranger_classic_speh_1_640.jpg (136.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg ranger_classic_speh_2_640.jpg (132.2 KB, 55 views)

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 11-09-2011, 08:11 PM

Here is another link to make a "Leather Stacked Handle": http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...knife-tutorial

This tutorial has more info, more narrative, more photos and even info on fabricating the jig to hold the knife and handle assembly. Hope it helps.

If the photos don't open, you may have to join the site.. it's free. May take a day for all the permissions to be approved.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Master

m trying this too for the first time. Do you soak the leather or not?
Old 11-10-2011, 12:22 AM

No, don't soak the leather. Thirty years ago I put a stacked leather handle on my grandpa's old Estwing hammer. It had fallen off the tractor while repairing fence and laid outside for a couple of years, rotting the original handle. I cut the disks out of an old belt in a manner similar to what the tutorial link above shows. I used barbed nails to fasten the last 6 or so, using Liquid Steel epoxy to ensure the bond. The last disk was solid, and epoxied over the last nailed disk. I balanced a cement block on the hammer head, pushing the butt of the handle in some carpet to give pressure to the final bond. Final shaping was done with wood shaper. I've used it as my finish hammer all these years with no loosening.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:51 AM
Steel Addict

I thought you guys might find my question a little silly asking a sheath room about making a handle. But I was getting so many different answers and suggestions from the knife makers I had asked I just thought who better to ask then people that work with leather. BTW, I did not ask any knife makers from this site, just in my regional area.

If you ever need advice on Tying a Fly, Now that one I can answer.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:46 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Spook----haha---I have buttoned and zipped flys but have yet to tie one---Thank you for your input on this forum---Sandy

Tags
art, hammer, kit, knife, knifemaking, knives, leather, post, sheath, supply