MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 04-01-2004, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Howdy Rebecca and Thom -
Been busy and lost track of this one.

1) A Tutorial (a video I don't even want to think about - of course if there's any body out there that has the equipment and $$$$ - hmm I think Tom Selleck to play me - Linda thinks Wilford Brimley or Willie Nelson would be a better choice ) - right now just don't have the time - actually if you take a re-look at the images above you can see the process fairly well.
2) Do you form the rawhide wet around the knife, then somehow fit the leather inside? see the first image - the leather inner sheath is made just like you'd make a regular sheath - use a welt, glue it together, etc. If your not sure about the process check out my Mexican Loop Tutorial which will show you the basics
3) Leather wet, too? No - #2 - Of course the rawhide will have to be wet in order to work
4) All in one step, or two steps? Two step - leather liner and then wrap the rawhide around it - when making the style sheath sheath as shown - blade only I use two pieces of rawhide - front and back and sew along each edge - you can use 3 cord linen thread or real sinew (that's what I used on the Bowie sheath) for sewing the rawhide. If you make a wraparound sheath like this you will only need to sew along the front edge - I do it by sewing the leather first with a saddler's stitch and then wrapping the rawhide over the edge and sewing along the edge with a whip stitch or X stitch (double whip) Of course if you use tacks there doesn't have to be any sewing at all. If you want though you can do as above and then add the tacks, but when done right the tacks and glue will hold it together just fine.

5) What weight leather? depends on the blade size - for the little knife I used 5/6 oz vegtan with about a 2/3 oz rawhide cover - for the bigger Bowie I used 7/8 oz vegtan with 3/4 oz rawhide
6) What kind of stitch do you use to fix the rawhide and leather liner together? None needed - once that rawhide drys it's locked in place
7) Glue too? None needed see #6 - if you do I'd use hide glue
8)How do you paint the rawhide - with what? Earth Paints available from Crazy Crow and others - you have to mix them with water and a sizing - either thinned hide glue or liquid plain gelatin and make sure the rawhide is damp. You have to rub the paint into the hide so either use green willow sticks with chewed ends or real short stiff bristles brushes. After painting and when it's completely dry the PAINTING ONLY must be sealed with something like spar varnish if you plan on aging the finished sheath. PRACTICE PAINTING RAWHIDE ON SCRAP - this takes time to get right! I use a small dull pointed stick to mark the outlines - see the bowie pics and you can see how the outline is "indented".
9) Braintan collar - can I use something else, or where to get braintan? Braintan is the best and the original especially if you plan on doing beadwork. Modern Chrome tan deer or elk can be used and is not bad to get started with - but it is not PC (period correct - BTW if you plan on being PC - do research on the period and geographic area you wish to emulate - there are many differences on techniques, materials, etc.) Braintan deer, elk, and buffalo is available from several vendors on www.braintan.com. Buffalo rawhide is also available from a couple of the vendors on braintain.com and Crazy Crow has also started supplying it. Best bet is to check out The Hideout forum on braintan.com and see if there is someone doing the work in your area - most traditional tanners are into trade and that's how I keep supplied.
11) Do you fix this material inside the rim of the sheath and then roll it over the top? Sometimes yes and sometimes no - it is more difficult to do on a blade only sheath - you have to plan ahead and leave the top of the liner unglued/sewn and.... The wrap around style is more amenable to the fold over of the collar at the top - attach before gluing/sewing the whole thing together. Sometimes on the blade only style I sew the top of the collar to the liner by sewing at an angle through the collar and the liner - use either a whip stitch or a running stitch.
12) Or is it just an added layer glued or stitched to the outside? You can glue the collar if you want - sometimes I do and sometimes I don't just depends - If I don't sew at the throat of the liner then I usually glue the collar on - and then sew the edge/edges of the collar to itself. The Bowie Sheath was not sewn at the throat so I glued the front and back pieces of the two piece collar along both edges - I then did the edge beading to hide the seams - the top and bottom beaded border were added before the collar was attached to the body of the sheath.
13) Once done age with any of several methods - walnut husk dye, stains. leather dye, etc. The rawhide must be sealed after - the natives used thinned hide glue or out west prickly pear cactus juice - I usually use Marine Spar Varnish - traditionally used by whites. Another "white" option which is PC is linseed oil

The fold over sheath uses a traditional native method of sheath attachment - just wrap the things around your belt and lock it by using a half hitch of the things around the wrap.

The other option is to get some thick buffalo rahide 5/6 oz or plus and eliminate the leather liner, but it's hard to find.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:16 PM
Steel Addict

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Can't wait to give this a try.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Howdy Rebecca-
Hope it helps - it's not as hard as I may have made it sound

It may (probably will ) lead to more questions, but please don't be afraid to ask.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:20 AM
Steel Addict

Who's gonna play the ugly brother? Burt Reynolds?

Old 04-02-2004, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Well not that would all depend who plays me:
If it was Tom than Burt would be good
Wilford - hmmm maybe Steve Buscemi
Willie - Danny DeVito????

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 04-06-2004, 02:12 PM
Registered

What is a good source for vegtan leather? I found some 4" wide strap leather at crazy crow, but it did not give the weight. Will this work for a sheath? I will be covering it with whitetail rawhide, and brain tan (as soon as I finish this hide) so it should be stiff enough.

Thanks
Dan
Old 04-06-2004, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Howdy Dan -
Leather sources - check out the sticky at the top of this forum "Types of Leather"
There are links and addys for most of the major suppliers.

The strap leather you got is most likely 8/9 oz (an oz of leather = 1/64") and so should work just fine.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 04-13-2004, 05:11 PM
Steel Addict

coloring rawhide

I started a new thread on this since the "working with rawhide" thread had gotten so long.
I used some leather dye to color or "age4" the rawhide cover, as Chuck suggested. Looks great. But I can't find the Earth Paints you suggested, Chuck. I've looked all over Crazy Crow and just checked out Matoska. What am I doing wrong?
Rebecca
Old 04-14-2004, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Howdy Rebecca -
Here's the link to the item on line - 4 colors available.
http://www.crazycrow.com/Merchant2/m...Category_Code=

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 04-14-2004, 05:23 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks, Chuck.

Thanks, Chuck. I really did look and look and look....
Rebecca

Tags
blade, knife, knives