MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 02-04-2001, 10:50 PM
Jason G Howell

Now I'm going to do my detent ball.

With the spine and stop pin installed, pull the blade closed.

Pulling the blade tightly closed, I drill through the hole in my lock to mark the blade for the divot.

Using a 3/32" solid carbide spade drill, I drill the mark I made through the liner. This is where the detent ball will "suck into" when the blade is closed.

Although I didn't get a shot of it, I now bend my lock until it would just pass the other side of the blade. Any further will just put more pressure on the blade than is necessary. I use a piece of micarta with a gentle curve in it for shaping my lock. Thanks to Johnny Stout for the idea. I assemble the knife using loctite and finish just like any other knife. wala

Old 02-04-2001, 11:03 PM
Jason G Howell

A couple of shots of the finished knife.

I hope you have enjoyed the rundown. It was an experience I'll not soon forget
Drop by my table in Arkansas next weekend if you want to see the finished product. I am by no means an "experienced" maker of liner locks. I have burned up my share of material to contribute to my scrap pile. I have picked up plenty from other makers but have had to figure some stuff out on my own. My post feels rather long winded, but somehow incomplete as I could not cover "everything" here. I hope this trend continues here as I learn something new every day. Take care.

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives