MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 01-12-2001, 09:27 PM
Frank Niro

Just an excellent piece of work!! I am now making liner locks and have enjoyed helping a few people.I sure didn't have any super pictures like you do. With an article like this someone with some experience could sure find their way.Thank you so very much Neil! I'm sure I will share this with others.
Old 01-13-2001, 02:16 AM
CKDadmin

Neil ...

The CKD wants a contract before Blade and KI comes knocking ... !!

Alex
Old 01-13-2001, 03:15 PM
JerryO13

Neil,

No Joke, I little padding to the words and you've got a great book here, maybe add some info on some of your jig's and equipment. Then your out looking for a publisher. " The Folding Knife ~ Aussie Style ".
Old 01-13-2001, 06:26 PM
Roger Gregory

Neil

I'm with Jerry on this. If you put that together with a few more photos of the equipment you're using and a couple more of the dog, it's going to sell! (The book as well as the knife)

To me there are two great things about this tutorial you've put together. One is that you're quite unselfishly showing all the tricks of the trade, like all the other great makers we see here at CKD. Two, you're showing just how much hard work goes into a handmade folder, and why it's worth more than the $50 Taiwanese jobs.

Now, if only Australia's next great export to England could be quality folders instead of Neighbours and Rolf Harris (and I still remember Skippy!).

Roger
Old 01-13-2001, 06:48 PM
Frank Niro

Neil, would you please give me information on your camera etc. Are dy chance using a digital camera? Thanks again.
Old 01-13-2001, 10:24 PM
CKDadmin

Neil,

Tell everyone about "Ricki the wonder dog" and the Field Trial stuff sometime ... that's really cool!

Alex
Old 01-14-2001, 04:26 PM
eadus

Thanks for the kind words gents however if you look at what I've posted there is very little difference from that published in "How to make Folding Knives". OK the pictures might be a little clearer (as a result of technology) and some of the techniques might be a little different (as a result of having different machinary) but basically it is the same.
For a while I was making and selling LPG gas forges (to other knifemakers) and I got that many orders that I found it became a real chore and I couldn't find time to make what I love doing, making knives. Today I've stopped making forges, I prefer makers to make their own, and I concentrate on making knives. We have very little time on this planet, so I believe I have to make the best use of my time doing what I do best and whilst I have really enjoyed compiling this "tutorial", I wouldn't like it to turn into a "diversion", besides I doubt if we have any pub;ishers in this country who would be prepared to publish it.

I have had my knives on the internet, in one form or another for almost 5 years now, and I realised early on that in order to succeed I needed to have the best images possible available. This became more apparant after I got my own domain name and settled on my current webhoster. I have used everything from Hasselblads to Nikon SLRs and I used a Minolta SLR for a long time and the images were quite acceptable. However after doing quite a bit of research I figure digital was the way to go and again after doing a lot of research and how much money I could afford I settle on a Canon A50. This camera has quite could resolution, an optical zoom and more importantly a macro capability (I can get as close as 4") yet the price was reasonable, in addition I use Adobe photosho 5.5 to manipulate the images. I'm still playing around with backgrounds etc but these are only refinements.
I hope that answers your question Frank.

Regards from Australia.

Old 01-14-2001, 10:05 PM
Frank Niro

Thank you again Neil. I am hoping to have a website in the future and any help is appreciated. No, I sure wont blame you or anyone else for any problems I run into. It sure is nice and different for someone giving me hand. Aside from books and magazines until just recently it's been a self help or no help situation.I now have a couple of other makers who not only want to learn anything they can, but also are willing to share any knowledge they have. This sure is a big boost. I find these forums just the greatest!!
Old 01-16-2001, 08:02 PM
eadus

Well gents, here's the finished product.

Regards from Australia

Old 01-16-2001, 08:22 PM
CKDadmin

Neil,

Man, that's supurb work!

Everyone got this? OK ... start posting your works for us to look over!

Neil, what you going to try next?

Alex
Old 01-16-2001, 08:42 PM
primos

I've been sitting here looking at this fabulous piece of work for several minutes, trying to think of what to say. Somehow the words just fail me. I can't exactly explain it.

It's sort of like being in a room full of beautiful women. They're all pretty, but all of a sudden you see this one women -- you can't take your eyes off her. She's perfect.

To just type the word "wow" with a bunch of exclamation marks after it would be disrespectful -- a sacrilege. This knife makes me feel raw emotion. It's beautiful. It's like that perfect woman.
Old 01-16-2001, 11:23 PM
eadus

I'm building a smaller version, mainly because I haven't got any in stock. Will keep you all posted on my progress.

Regards from Down-Under.

Old 01-17-2001, 12:40 AM
CKDadmin

Neil,

Get that Engraver involved with us out here on the net. What was the turn time on that part? 2 days? We need a man like that!
Alex
Old 01-17-2001, 05:28 AM
eadus

Normally same day service, big jobs take a little longer, probably 1 to 2 days.

Old 01-17-2001, 11:28 AM
JerryO13

That is an elegant folder!

it's busy, but not too busy, with the simple design, the added complexity of the damascus and engraving stand out without overpowering the whole. Just Elegant!

Tags
blade, folding knife, forge, knife, knife making, knives