MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 03-28-2006, 10:30 PM
Master

Send a message via ICQ to Txcwboy
Making your own washers.

I have a sharp 3/16th punch I use for the center cut of the nylatrol( or whatever its called )I use a 1/2 " round punch to cut the dia. of the washer. I can get pretty close to center. My problem seems the washers arent flat when I am done. They are dented in from the 3/16th punch side. I was looking at the junction of my latest folder up towards the light and i could see the daylight near the pivot. I use a hard nylon board under them to cut them.

thank you

Dave
Old 03-29-2006, 02:19 AM
Steel Addict

I had the same problem when I switched from teflon to nylatron. I got one of those punch sets from MSC (the one that's always on sale in their flyers for about $80) that's designed to cut brass and stainless sheet, and it cuts the nylatron nice and flat. Let me know if you want the part number, and I'll look it up.

Old 03-29-2006, 08:11 AM
Master

Yes please do. I was hoping to not spend that kind of money but had looked at some of those types. Is it the same design as the ones on ebay for 20-40 ? I thought about one of those. I just looked at your site, OOPS we must have been influenced by the same maker on the top part of your knife I m working on changing mine as soon as I get past a couple.

Dave
Old 03-29-2006, 08:13 AM
Master

Like this ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOLLOW-PUNCH-PUN...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-29-2006, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I had the same situation when I was cutting my own washers. I purchased the a punch set from MSC that cuts both the ID and the OD at that same time, but no matter what I used as a backing, the washers still were messed up. I've since gone to .010 bronze washers. I purchase them 100 at a time from Small Parts. com. They have many different size ID/OD, and the cost is only $8-10 per hundred. The time I spent TRYING to make washers is worth more than that!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 03-29-2006, 08:26 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I see the same problem on my nylotron washers but a minute spent rubbing the washer carefully against some 220 sandpaper laying on my granite surface plate seems to fix that situation.

BTW, I use the punch set shown on the link Txcwboy listed a couple of posts back. As it comes out of the box, it's hit and miss trying to get the pivot hole well centered in the washer. It cost me another $15 to modify the punch so that the accuracy is acceptable ........

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-29-2006, 06:20 PM
Master

Ed,
I tried to bring up that Small Parts.com but was unable. Would you please help me further on the url? Frank

Old 03-29-2006, 06:47 PM
Master

http://www.smallparts.com/
Old 03-29-2006, 06:59 PM
Master

Looks like a number 8 would fit my needs Thanks Ed. But now I have another issue, the precision made standoffs I use for my backspacers wont work if I switch to these. I would need something .145 now instead of .187. I could grind them down I guess. I was thinking they were too short but they are too tall

Dave
Old 03-29-2006, 11:01 PM
Steel Addict

The set I have is MSC number 48424501. MSC's site is down right now, so I can't link to it, but it's on page 1742 of the 2004/2005 big book. These punches are solid, not hollow. The material to be punched slides in between the steel base and clear acrylic top. The punch slides down through the guide hole in the acrylic so it mates perfectly with the "cutting" hole in the base. This keeps the punched material much flatter than when punching with a hollow punch.

This set lists at $108.25, but as I said I usually see it on sale in the flyers. There's a self-centering version too, but it's more money; the "eyeball mark 1" centering method works well for me.

If you decide to try one of these, I have found it works best to punch the inside diameter first, then the outside diameter.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:56 PM
Skilled

I was also having the same problem with the washers "cuping". I just chucked up the punch in my cordless drill and resharpened the punch on my grinder. I made the outside angle very steep. It just takes a few taps to cut the Nylatron now. I use a thin rubber mat as a backer.

Jeremy

Old 03-30-2006, 06:43 PM
Master

Thanks for the web site address. Frank

Old 03-31-2006, 02:22 PM
Steel Addict

I am also having the same problems as you fellas with the washer thing. I've been looking at the MSC punch set for some time but I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money right now for a few washers now and then.
What I have been doing lately is this....
I have a hand punch that is big enough to cut a clean hole for my pivot size.
I take small squares of .010 bronze with the pivot size hole punched in and stack them on a 2" long machine screw along with a flat metal washer sized for my desired final OD on each end of the stack. Sock this up tight with a nut and using my metal washers as a guide, I grind the squares(after a little trimming with some tin snips) right down to the size of the flat washers. Then I chuck it up in the drill press and smooth down the edges. The washers come out flat and round. After I take the stack apart, a little sanding on the surface plate like Ray mentioned will knock off the little burr left from the grinding. It's a wee bit more time consuming then the fancy punch set, but I still have the $90.00 bucks in my pocket.
If someone tries this method, lets us know how it came out. Maybe you can improve on it and pass it on.
If I made a lot more folders I think I would do like Mr Caffrey does and just buy them.
Pat McGroder
Old 03-31-2006, 07:29 PM
Master

MSC has the punch mention on sale now for $84.oo FYI Some needs to homebrew something just like it and make a tutorial on it Preferabley without a lathe or mill. I have a new tandy 3/16th punch that is pretty sharp . May steepen( is that a word?)
the angle and try it.

Dave
Old 04-02-2006, 10:34 AM
Steel Addict

Making washers for folders isn't worth the trouble or the expense. Try www.bokers.com in the USA. They will make you perfect washers and have tooling on hand in many many sizes. Their quailty is outstanding.

Tags
knife, knives