MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 10-09-2005, 05:47 PM
Master

"ZAP POW" static electricity

Of course I get Zapped right when I am doing some finishing work and I jerk and "Oh well". It happens on my belt grinder. Any suggestions on what I can do.

Old 10-09-2005, 06:12 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Graves
Of course I get Zapped right when I am doing some finishing work and I jerk and "Oh well". It happens on my belt grinder. Any suggestions on what I can do.
I don't know, but it's really getting me bad too...

Old 10-09-2005, 06:20 PM
Master

This may not work as it dangles, but you can go to a computer store and get an antistatic bracelet that shunts it away from your body, or get an antistatic nat for the area where the static is getting you.

A couple of suggestions.

Paul Vandine
Old 10-09-2005, 09:14 PM
Enthusiast

I've got a Delta 1x30 that zaps the heck out of me. What I do is keep one hand, just a finger really, in contact with the grinder at all times. I use the other hand to dip the blade between grinds. I know when I let go because I get zapped again!. Kevin.

Old 10-09-2005, 09:49 PM
Steel Addict

Make a ground wire, mount one end to the grinder and wrap the other end around your pinkie while grinding. No more Zap Pow. Remember the wire has to be bare on the two ends. Works for me.
Bill
Old 10-09-2005, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Static is REALLY bad in my shop, especially during the winter months. I keep a humidity guage in the shop, and anytime it reads below 40%, I turn on a humidifier.

The compuer grounding wrist strap works great too! I have one on each of my grinders. What made me find a cure was an incident where I was grinding G-10 handles on EBKs....a huge blue spark leaped from the grinder and caught me right in the family jewels! If that doesn't get your attention.....nothing will!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 10-10-2005, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

Get some anti-static spray. You can find it in stores around the cleaning supplies, or in any computer store. Use it liberally.

If your static is really bad, consider using a copper collector to ground it out.

Detergents will reduce static as well. I remember a computer repair guy showing me a plastic cover that was causing static problems in a computer. The factory guys solved the problem by rubbing dishwashing liquid on it.

Static in this region is a rare problem, thanks to the humidity!

Old 10-10-2005, 10:03 AM
Steel Addict

When I built my shop I sunk a copper grounding rod six feet into the ground. I did the same thing when I added the extension to it. I've never been zapped by any piece of machinery in my shop. I might have just got lucky, but no zap.

Old 10-10-2005, 02:04 PM
Skilled

Oh man!! I really love it.. I thought I was the only guy being zapped all the time. I concocted all the electrics in my workshop myself and thought I did something wrong. Anyway, I found wearing cotton clothing instead of synthetics reduces the intencity of the zap. It's also safer than synthetics when something goes wrong at the forge 'cos it won't melt into your skin.

I think I will try the anti-static wriststrap and see what happens.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:49 AM
Master

How do the anti static wristbands work? do they have a cord that runs do the machine?

Old 10-12-2005, 12:28 PM
Living Legend

You would attach it to any metalic part of the machine that is not electrically isolated. That will work only if the machine is it's self grounded. Most power equipment is grounded but I have a couple saws that are not and have gotten a "tingle" from them sometimes.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to TJ Smith
Just toughen up.
No just kidding. get a static disapating floor mat. They make them for computers and machine shops where static is a problem. I can stand on my mat when i"m grinding and watch sparks go back to the platen. I think harbor freight has one. Added bonus is they are 3/4 inch thick and nice on the feet.
Take Care
TJ

Old 10-19-2005, 05:15 PM
Steel Addict

Zapped

since my wood furnace is only about two feet from my grinder getting a charge is eminent ,in the winter especially. A small wire with an aligator clip on each end sure helps, one end on the grinder base, and the other tucked in the top of me britches. If i've just hosed off the concrete shop floor that humidity stops the zap, and don't need the wire. More often than not though I usually just hit the frame of my platen with with the heel of my hand occasionally, before the charge reaches hair curling levels.

Oh, Ed, you've seen all the cedar in my house. I had an experience similar to your's when my table saw kicked out a tiny eraser sized knot once.lol

Old 10-19-2005, 09:15 PM

Static

I work in the printing buisness and we have to wear E.S.D. shoes to get rid of static.
They work well and don't cost all that much. Redwing is where I buy mine.

Old 11-03-2005, 09:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
I just ran a copper wire from my grinder to the dust collector, which consists of a metal tube which connects to a metal water trap, which sits on the floor. No zap. Before that I got a pretty steady buzz...

jloose.com

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives